Not sure how to handle negotiations

Hi, I am new here, but have been reading through a lot of posts and I think I am starting to understand more about leases. Im currently looking at the 2018 Santa Fe SE ultimate - although they are getting harder to find so some of my searching is taking me out of state (live south of pgh). I contacted a dealer yesterday in Ohio and asked for some pricing and they were adamant, once finding out I was out of state with a trade in (which I don’t expect much from), they wouldn’t tell me anything, sales prices, etc. until I tell them what kind of offer I’m looking for. My newbie instincts tell me this could be good for me or bad ha ha. So I don’t know either way. The MSRP they have listed is 42,165. I asked in the edmunds forums about mf/rv/incentives and received this information
12/36
Mf .00224
Rv 54%
Lease cash $6,000
Regional lease cash $1,000

I did plug the numbers into the LH calculator and played around a bit with the sales prices. Ideally I’d like to stay under $400 if possible.
I guess I’m posting to ask how best to reply to this dealer, or just move on. If anyone has any tips I really appreciate it.

I am not dead set on the Santa Fe, but have had a tuscon for 12 years and have been very happy. My family of 3, make a yearly drive to Florida and are looking for some more cargo for luggage, etc and a bigger feel all around in a vehicle.

Edited because I wasn’t done typing before accidentally hit post. Thank you!

I would spend time on Edmunds forums and utilize TrueCar to get the factory invoice pricing of the Santa Fe SE Ultimate. Generally, I always try to aim for something below invoice. Also check CarGurus market valuation of the car. If it shows that people are paying way below invoice, then you should make an offer for around what the market is doing. The dealer may or may not accept that or counter-offer with something else.

I advise to always be honest in your communications with the dealer and be straight forward. If you are straight forward with what you’re trying to get accomplished, the worst they can do is say no, in which case, you find a dealer willing to play ball. If no one is willing to play ball, then maybe your expectations may be a little off or you just need to be more patient and wait it out.

My .02 cents.

Edit: Running the numbers real quick through the calculator that you’ve included and assuming no trade with Ohio state sales tax, it looks as if you’ll be around the 500 a month price range with that vehicle.

Negotiate dealer discount down to invoice (preferrably 1k below invoice if possible) before applying the 7k in incentives to the vehicle. This should help you get closer to the 400 a month you need, assuming no negative equity in trade.

Thank you, I will definitely research the places you mentioned. Those are good tips, thank you again.

Another solution would be to look in the Marketplace here and look at other SUVs such as QX60, Highlander etc.

Thank you! I will do the suggested research and work on the calculations.

Thanks- I can read through marketplace again. I have seen some good deals on qx60’s in here, I am definitely open to options. Thank you.

Saw Jrouleau426 post on another thread that he is able to help someone get to 400-425 a month on a QX50 Essential. Maybe this is the route you may want to go?

He is a broker here, I would at least pose the question.

Thank you- I’ll look into that.

Here is the post: If anyone needs help with Toyota quotes, Philadelphia area, Tundra, Tacoma, Highlander, 4runner $225/mo. Extra $500 bonus cash in Tacoma and tundra leases this month!

“I can help you obtain an excellent Toyota lease. My consulatation is free. I suggest getting a quote from your local dealer and then see what I can do for you! I can help with other brands too!”

"4runner all 4x4
Sr5 340
Sr5 premium 399

Highlander awd
Le 322
Xle 383"

Not the post I was referring to, since I specifically mentioned Infiniti QX-50. The Highlander may be a good option for OP as well. Either way, more information for him.

Ok…here is the post you were referring too - Infiniti Qx50 Essential

For one trip a year I’d just rent a minivan than drive around in an empty SUV all year around, unless the trip lasts a month.

Thanks for posting the links- I will check those out too.

Any interest in purchasing off lease? Returning my 2016 Santa Fe limited ultimate msrp $43k and in perfect condition. Its got 17.7k miles in 34 months. So you still have 42k or 26 months of warranty left.

Our trip varies. Last year was a month this year will probably be less. Aside from the trip we definitely want more room than we have now- can’t really fit stroller and groceries in back. I’m not as concerned with having a 3rd row- but to get a bigger feel suv all around that’s the way we’re leaning.

That sounds really good and very nice trim level. Do you have Apple CarPlay? That is something I am wanting for sure though.

No carplay. Got navigation and bluetooth and that usb thingy. Oh and tow thingy but never used it and came with it. This is not the SE so the 2nd row is with heated captains chair.

Thanks for the information. I will keep it in mind for sure but I do think we are wanting Apple car play. Thank you