New to LeaseHackr and looking for some guidance on a 2018 CPO BMW X5 XDrive35i

But it’s a better strategy than what the OP (and many people) have been doing.

I’d agree with that, and have gone this route. To say they all respect your time, however, is a little misleading. I’ve had sales mgrs pass me back to salesman, ignore me or wouldn’t talk to me unless I called/set foot in the door. Granted, I’ve also had some up front, no bullshit sales mgrs too.

1 Like

Internet Sales Managers are different from General Sales Managers. They’re used to working over email, and sorry I didn’t specify that not EVERY single one of them in the world will respect your time. I spoke in general terms, and generally, the Internet Sales Manager will do as I stated.

I’m aware of the differences between ISM and GSM. I also, in my experience, have found this to be 50/50.

The search continues. If anyone has suggestions, leads, or people who they can recommend in the Pacific Northwest I would appreciate it. I am willing to travel to get the right car for a proper price.

Search cars.com or carjojo for 2018 X5’s at BMW dealerships with <5,000 miles.

Use email to get details and negotiate

Will do. Thanks! I appreciate the help

I missed that OP was in the PNW. Sorry for the delay.

Short answer is you’re not going to get any loaner or new-car hackrworthy deals up here in Seattle metro - both are corporate owned (one is AutoNation and one is owned by Lithia) and, in this market, they just don’t need to go that deep.

Your best shot for a local-ish loaner is BMW of Portland or Kuni BMW. Of recent, the deals have dried up and folks have had mixed experiences with both dealers. I had a phenomenal experience with Kuni BMW 2 years ago, but things change.

I think your best chance period is NorCal or SoCal and shipping it up, if the dealer will do that.

I’m not opposed to negotiating a deal and then doing a road trip to grab the vehicle. All of my family lives in North Cal and So Cal. Might not be a bad idea to register it there too as Seattle King County has some of the highest car registration fees I have ever seen.

1 Like

I would work on that. If you’re registering in California, it is much easier to buy from a CA dealer - most of the dealers in CA that I’ve encountered at this point will not do out-of-state registration deals.

We have several bmw dealers from NorCal/SoCal that post loaner deals periodically (@bmw_dave, @F30Daniel, @GAngellBMW) so you should watch their inventory. We also have several brokers that serve California (@nyclife does NorCal) and may be able to help you as well for a fee.

I’ve all but given up hope for replacing my wife’s X1 with another BMW come lease expiration unless I’m willing to go out of state and ship.

Honestly, the car market is a little out of control just like the housing market. I wonder when the economy corrects itself how many people are going to default on these loans and leases…

The only way the Seattle market corrects is if Amazon leaves in any substantial way or, like Vancouver BC, they implement on a foreign buyers tax. Even then, there is simply too much demand outstripping supply.

Wife and I bought and sold once already and bought a bigger home in the suburbs. Values are climbing so fast again that we’ve decided if they hit a certain number, we’re moving back to the midwest and buying a house for cash with the equity.

1 Like

I bought in 2012 in Queen Anne and sold in 2017 for a substantial profit and moved a little ways out towards Green Lake. If the market stays the way it is we also will likely sell and move out of state.

1 Like

Only problem is that is about a $44,000 MSPR that they have listed as $49k. Might as well list it as $100k. Now, 10%ish might be more reasonable on a demo for an updated model year.

I’ve also got dealers showing 6/8/10 loaner X3s, so either they aren’t moving, or they aren’t promoting them yet.

What? Dealers can’t change the MSRP.

Ahh, you’re right on this one. I’ve been looking at these so long I misjudged the cost of the convenience package. That said, I have seen dealers that list on their sites a higher MSRP than the buildout on BMW.com, by a $2-3k bump (yes, I’m including destination). I don’t know if BMW monitors that, or cares, and a dealership can sell it for $2000 above MSRP if they want, and if someone is willing to pay that.

Dealer add-ons? (2020)

They can charge over it though

That’s not part of the MSRP though. MSRP is what has to be used for RV calculations for leases (exception being MB prepaid maintenance) The add-ons are usually added to the cap cost and not residualized.

For clarity, I’m not talking about a lease quote or anything showing a higher MSRP. I’m specifically referencing a dealers website showing the vehicle listed at a higher price and it is identified as “MSRP: $63,000.”