Negotiating lease on advertised "teaser" cars

Hi,

How willing are dealers willing to negotiate lease terms on the those “barebones” advertised specials. According to Carsdirect, there is a 2016 ford focus electric at $119/month and $669 down. Seems pretty good to me. Can I do better?

Thanks

The deal itself is definitely pretty good, but people here have definitely done better for themselves. https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2016-focus-electric-lease-119-month-0-drive-off-good-deal/8742

The teaser deals are sometimes good but mostly bad.

The only way to know if you can “do better” is to work the numbers. That means investing some time to read this forum and some of the basics.

The lazy way to get to a monthly payment is to see if the monthly (including tax) is < 1% of MSRP with $0 down on a standard 36/10k lease. This is just to see how far/close to are to see if it a dealer that you can work with or time to look for the next dealer. For electric vehicles, this is NOT applicable as you should be able to get much, much better deals that this.

If you invest 8 hours in learning this stuff, you will save a ton of money in the long run if you are planning on doing a lease deal every 2-3 years. $50/mo savings x 12 x 40 years = $24k. You will probably save more than $50/mo on higher end cars. If you feel grateful after your deal, jump back on the forum and help the next round of newbies

Thank you for your reply - yes - am new. I said to dealer I was interested in lease.

Dealer came back with "Your price 19,712 after rebates + fees/tax if you plan to lease and 26,962 after rebates +fees/tax if you plant o purchase.

What does this mean?

You have to ask the dealer what he means …

Maybe he is saying that your total money you will pay after leasing the car for 36 months is $19,712? If you purchase, you are paying $26,962 total money after interest charges. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense …

Have you read that long thread above? It has a LOT of detail.

reading it now. thx for your help.

The reason for the big discrepancy is because the $7500 federal EV rebate is given to the lending company (Ford Financial) for a lease, but they pass the savings to the consumer through rebates. If you purchase the vehicle, the consumer is responsible for applying for that rebate themselves. That’s why the price difference is almost $7500.