LEASED 2018 Maserati Ghibli S

The name is pretty much all it has.

I went to test drive one 2 weekends ago, and for a $91,000 car, it was a massive disappointment. If you floor it from a red light, it revs, the exhaust makes a sound, but the car just stands there, thinking whether or not it should actually move forward. I obviously went to drive it because you can get it for like $20k off, and it’ll be more as the year ends. But there isn’t an amount of money you can discount the Ghibli for me to want it.

I also had a 540i loaner that was $64k. The interiors were comprable, the infotainment was a big win for BMW, and its turbos kicked in at 1100 rpm, so it flew off the line from a red light. Played out or not, the new 5 series is gorgeous and punches so far above its weight.

4 Likes

60%? So less than $500 all in? Can you show me where?

1 Like

People have paid about a G for the Ghibli SQ4. I can get a 540i for under 600 for myself with just MSD due at signing.

Define good deal as in pricing for these please

Anything under 750 for an S is what I’d consider a win personally.

I’m paying $661 for an $85k 2017 SQ4 which has a stated 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds, just slightly better than the 540i xDrive.

More importantly, the valet always parks my car out front, and in sport mode the exhaust note scares old women and excites young ones.

4 Likes

The 540i xdrive also has a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds. More importantly, it will actually get you to 60 without breaking down. I test drove both cars literally a week ago and the 540i is much faster. Are there issues with it? Yes, parts of the interior feel cheap, and a non-Msport car has suspension that’s too soft, but the car is miles ahead of everything in its segment, with the exception of an E43, and that is a lot more expensive. Many parts of the ghibli feel just as cheap though, but at a much higher price point.

At the end of last year, I saw ghibli SQ4s for 599 with 2500 due on low mileage leases. I’m not going to ask what you did out of pocket and what your mileage is, because with the right incentives, and at the right time of the year, the BMW is always going to provide more value.

1 Like

BMW is what the head buys, the Maserati is what the heart buys. (as always with German vs Italian)

I bought mine because everybody and their cousin in my town drive a BMW and a Mercedes. They are all boxy and as common as the venerable Toyota and Chevy cars in my town. You can go six months without laying eyes on another sexy, sleek, classy Maserati. And when you finally do, the exhaust notes as it passes by you in your aerodynamic flare-kitted German coupe will make your panties wet. (Sorry…maybe that’s a little too far) :slight_smile:

Really, to each their own. I loved the tech of the Audi, the price of the Beemer, the performance of the Mercedes, and the lines of the Jaguar. I went with the Maserati because of its similar performance, great lease deal, and…well…it’s a Maserati.

I’m happy you find the 540i a better value for your money… But I’ll tell you the most important thing about my daily driver: if I had the ubiquitous 5 series I wouldn’t ever feel what I feel approaching and leaving my sq4 gransport. Wouldn’t feel that exhaust in my fuckin heart like the masi starting in sport mode.

Besides all that, a cool thing is I have maybe 2-3 people a mo. ask if they can take a pic and some even ask to rev on the highway. Won’t happen with your 540i, sorry.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Not only do i find the 540 to have more value for the money, but i find the m550i to as well. Both are better priced than the ghibli, won’t break down repeatedly, and don’t have parts borrowed from a Chrysler 300. Either of those cars will blow a ghibli out of the water. It would be close with a 540, but a blowout against an m550.
Revving or feeling exhaust is nice, but reality is that this car lacks necessary features to be a daily driver.

1 Like

I mean, you did ask why people get these things :thinking:

I never mentioned which car is quicker nor do I really care about drag racing a stock lease… Does any one over 21 actually drag race a 5 series?
The car is heavy but still quick, the sound boom on up shifts sounds mental and overall is still exotic enough for most people to appreciate it.

FYI I test drove a Mediterranean blue/cognac 540i after a sq4 test and it felt extremely sedated. Lease whatever you want man but I think we answered your question.

3 Likes
1 Like

I have a 16’ Ghibli S that’s my weekend car and I love it more and more everytime I drive it. To each their own. That exhaust note in sport is music to my ears. My lease is coming up on it so I need to decide what I want to do.

1 Like

I don’t get why some a’holes feel the need to try to make themselves feel better by crapping on other people’s vehicles. We should be grateful we have so many choices and not everyone is driving the same damned thing.

3 Likes

Jealousy.
Also, that article is over 3 years old.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it jealousy, as much as I’d call it being rational – I personally would never downgrade to a Ghibli unless I was paying something like $300/mo.

The point being made here is that the Ghibli is a glorified Dodge Dart that can be purchased for a huge premium (ie the single most overpriced car in the industry). If you wouldn’t drive a Chrysler – which is most savvy car people – then you wouldn’t drive a Maserati.

On the plus side, Maserati still has many people associating the name and badge with hyper-luxury, due to old brand perception from years past. That perception is quickly changing (read any article about Maserati sales figures from 2017-2018), so if you really are interested in buying into Maserati’s brand perception, now is the time to lease one. The reason for the criticism is that the Ghibli is a cheaply constructed car that is outclassed by cars in performance; equipment; entertainment, safety, and convenience features that come at a significantly more affordable price tag.

Perhaps to some, that’s worth it for the Maserati badge. And that’s totally acceptable – people don’t need to be dependent on public perception in order to love their car. And if you haven’t driven a luxury or sportscar before, perhaps you wouldn’t know any different.

When we first saw Maserati leases on the forum, I think we all were a little struck with a grandiose allure – I even considered getting one. But a little research goes a long way. And personally, I roll my eyes every time I see one on the road because all I see is someone who doesn’t realize they’re dramatically overpaying for a turbocharged Dart. Dodge didn’t completely abandon the Dart after all :laughing:

7 Likes

If I could, I would like this 10x. Except it’s a rebadged Chrysler 300, not a Dart. Infotainment from the 300 / Jeep Grand Cherokee. ::shudder::

1 Like

Other than the exclusivity, I can’t think of any reason to drive a Ghibli. I’ve driven my former bosses’ Ghibli extensively, which was optioned out to $100k plus with garish chrome wheels and who knows what else. (She’s the “if it cost more, add it” kind with a very rich husband)

My impression is acres of low-end plastic. A big car on the outside with very limited space inside. Infotainment that would be at home in a 2004 Jeep. Very lackadaisical acceleration, albeit with awesome sounds.

If it suits the owner, great. But there’s a reason they sell for $20k off without any negotiation.

All that being said, tastes differ from person to person. I’m not here to crap on others’ dreams. But I wouldn’t trade my wife’s Murano even up for two Ghiblis.

how about we close this damn topic because it has turned into a Maserati bashing thread instead of any useful information that can help others get a good deal on Ghibli S

5 Likes