Hurry and lease your favorite German sedan

1 Like

More to the point

3 Likes

Always gotta one up :grin:

Flexing my mods muscles.

Auto Tariffs Mean Lost Jobs
Plenty of Trump voters will suffer with a 25% tax on imports.

President Trump tweeted “big news coming soon for our great American Autoworkers” ahead of his Administration’s announcement last week that it will seek new tariffs on imported autos and auto parts. If he had more Twitter characters, perhaps Mr. Trump would have added, “Tough luck for the rest of you.”

Just kidding, but that would have been accurate. Mr. Trump is boasting of potential gains for one narrow constituency from his latest protectionist threat. But he’s ignoring the forgotten Americans who will lose their jobs when U.S. competitiveness and economic growth suffer. According to a new study from the Washington-based Trade Partnership Worldwide released Tuesday, the pain could be significant.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/auto-tariffs-mean-lost-jobs-1527720218

I think on The Apprentice, they were sponsored by Mercedes. At least that was what the celebrities always go into when they got “fired”.

Trying to see what the end game in this is. Is it something where we telling China that if we can do it to our allies, dont think we cannot do it to you if we need to. I mean we export plenty of things as well. Either way automakers will figure a way to circumvent these tariffs, either by building more here or another method.

Mercedes and BMW also build a ton of their SUVs in the USA… not sure of the point either. and it makes me want to look for a Giulia harder in June

There is no end game, it’s all based on who has bunged Trump some cash (via Cohen) and he makes the decision to stiff the competition of whoever has funded him. Have a read up on what Ford and AT&T were offered by Cohen for example.

Back on topic: very little will happen as Germany can screw Ford and GM/Opel/Vauxhall in Europe just as much as Trump can hammer BMW, Mercedes, etc. Alot of the German SUVs are built here anyway.

1 Like

Man you really think a few hundred thousands would sway Trump? Every past politician took care of their most important donors via secured loans for EV or contracts for military complex. (Wrong for all of them by the way.)

Isnt Gulia build in Europe though? Also, have to wonder of job losses for all those companies that employ people here. Maybe steel country holds the key to his re-election and who cares about the rest? Maybe it is simply a re election strategy. Maybe it is simply keeping a promise he made regarding trade to steel or coal workers? One thing is certain, this can all be reversed in 3 years just as President Trump reversed a lot of what former President Obama did just because a lot was not ratified by Congress and simply executed via the pen. So everyone calm down :smile: we just have to look at something else until 2021.

When you play the market this way and have such inside knowledge, it’s no longer a few hundred thousands. Also helps if you control the SEC and FCC.

yomnc

That’s right, Aliens.

Not sure it is possible to solely stay on car topic without involving the decision and the “Decider”.

Isn’t the tax on the steel and aluminum raw material content and not on the value of the finished good? A $100,000 Porsche might see an increased cost of $150-200…that gets lost in the rounding. Porsche and other manufacturers can easily absorb that cost or bury it in the annual price increase.

yeah I know thats why I want to get one before the tariff lol

1 Like

yes but in addition to that hes proposing a 25% tariff on imported cars

Ouch! That’ll stir things up.

I was staying at a Westin in Arizona when he was campaigning and he was there for a few days, there was a secret service agent standing next to a Maybach out front

Maybe he forgot Maybach is a sub brand of MB