Honda salesperson told me Honda would give a new car if the leased car is totaled

So over the weekend my friend asked me to go to a honda dealership to help work out a clarity lease for him. We want to keep the payment around 325 with taxes and 0 das. The sales person said that can’t be done without a down payment. I told him we don’t want to down because it would be lost if the car is stolen or totaled. He then assured us that if the car is indeed totaled, Honda will give us a new car and the lease would continue until the end of the contract. I asked him to give that to us in writing and he said he would ask his manager to write it after we sign the lease. I asked to speak with his manager for him to confirm it. The SA said his manager is busy. What about the GM? Apparently, he was also busy. I asked for documents from Honda stating this and he said he can’t find it.

I can’t believe he would lie like that just to make a sale. I thought about reporting him to his manager and gm but I figured they wouldn’t care.

This makes me appreciate all the straight shooting sales folks here on the forum.

I would take the time to write into Corporate. They take that stuff seriously and if they have a salesman/dealership that’s willing to make fraudulent claims to make a sale, it will be addressed.

2 Likes

“… he said he would ask his manager to write it after we sign the lease.”

That’s a salesman’s version of “just the tip”.

:smirk:

9 Likes

OMG funny as helllllllllllll !

1 Like

Oh boy lol :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I think I’ve seen it somewhere, maybe in the contract for my Audi lease, that the manufacturer, at their discretion, can replace a car with a like unit in the event of a loss.

edit- this sounds really shady though. also, does Honda not offer a zero dollar sign and drive? why does he care what the down is?

He’s probably referring to GAP insurance and misunderstanding you rather than being intentionally deceitful, but still… It doesn’t really excuse it but you have to remember that most sales guys are just that, SALES guys and don’t necessarily know or care about any of the ins and outs and what have yous.

This isn’t a Honda issue, it’s an industry issue. Most don’t know the ins and outs of the lease process; they’re just there to sell you on the car. With that said, they aren’t all that knowledgeable about the product either.

Wife test drove an X1 yesterday. The falsehoods I was told…

1. BMW can’t lease a car over 5k…period. That’s not true, however, it is harder to get a good lease on one over 5k

2. The X1 only comes with Business nav (smaller screen). When I finally convinced him that wasn’t the case, he was adamant it was in a 6k package that ONLY offered nav…again, not true.

3. The x2 has more cargo space than the x1. Not true.

Over the years I’ve learned to just do my own research, and fluff off whatever the salesman says. That’s not to say there aren’t very knowledgeable ones out there…I just never seem to get them.

+1

You’d think that being around the cars day in and day out that they would have quite a bit of knowledge about the product. Instead I find that many know just enough to answer some basic questions and fake it for anything else.

It’s all about closing the deal.

1 Like

Although I agree with this sentiment, I am not sure that is the case here. He didn’t give off a green, uninformed sales person vibe. He was definitely the more traditional smooth and suave type who over sells his products. From his demeanor and body language you can tell he was trying to hide something and wasn’t making an honest mistake. I generally give people benefit of the doubt but how could I in this scenario? He is a sales guy after all. lol

If you don’t feel comfortable dealing with him, ask for another salesman. Better yet, just go to another Honda dealer. They’re a dime a dozen.

Yeah, at that point, I just want to push to see how far he would go with the lie. I told him, once he can get that to us in writing via email, we’ll come back to sign the lease. Haven’t heard from him since. The other caveat is that my friend believed him and was arguing with me. My dear friend would have been in a world of hurt had I not came along.

My friend was at an Infiniti dealership over the weekend and the sales guy kept saying “FWD” means 4 wheel drive. I don’t know if he was that clueless or just trying to pull one over on my (female) friend.

lmao ! That’s insane !

“F” stands for “four”, I guess :slight_smile:

You should have showed the idiot the sticker on the car. Usually its broken down in specs/ descriptions. Would have had a laugh looking at his confused face :smiley:

F stands for FOUR. Makes sense to me. lol

What is the name of the dealer?

Does Honda Financial Service provide GAP insurance for free? When I lease a Land Rover, they use Chase financial service, and it comes with GAP, it was a pleasant surprise to me.

She texted me after to confirm that he was wrong. She also sent me a window sticker (to look at the options) but in first column it clearly mentioned front wheel drive. These sales people are so clueless. Hardly anyone lasts. Out of all the leases we have done in the past only 1 sales guy is still there.

Which Infiniti is front wheel? I thought they all 4 or rear wheel.