Getting out of my lease?

Hello, I am currently leasing a 2017 ford fusion energi titanium. My lease is coming to a close this September but my mileage is currently at 27k out of 30k. Are there any options for me to get out of my lease that don’t require me to lose money out of the deal? I am currently in NY and would be interested in another lease if that helps.

You can attempt to transfer it. Most will say you will find little interest (and I suspect that is true), but some individuals prefer a short term lease and do not drive much (I am one of them - I drive approximately 2K miles per year).

You might get lucky.

On a side note, as someone who assumed a lease in the past, the majority seem to rack up a crazy amount of miles. A high percentage of the vehicles I looked at were those looking to avoid the substantial costs associated with mileage overages or not repairing/maintaining the car. It baffles me why so many choose to lease when they know you are limited mile wise and need to take care of the vehicle. One car I was interested in had a cracked windshield that needed to be replaced at the cost of $700. It began as a chip that could have been repaired for $150 (or less) had it been taken care of early enough. The individual wanted me to lie to my insurance company to pay for something he should have.

He eventually got someone to assume the lease. If they did not buy it at lease end, I am sure the cost of the disposition fee, windshield, tires, and extra miles made them wish they had looked elsewhere.

try this:

Nobody is going to assume a lease with almost no miles left so that’s really not an option.

Also I think Ford financial might have restriction to sell a “leased” car to a third party like Carmax/Carvana/Vroom (I remember reading something like that, call them to find out). That 2013 mentioned was probably not a lease.

Nothing to do that won’t cost you something unless by some miracle you have some equity.

There are people looking for low miles leases (i.e. second car used sparingly) but in that scenario they are going to want to get a great deal so you may need to play a siginificant incentive in cash at the time of transfer. No idea if you current payment is good or bad so look on Swapalease, find the best deal for a similar Fusion and readjust your payment based on monthly mileage left using the overage fee in your contract (.20/mile?).

Good news is Ford is a good manufacturer to work with for swaps as they only charge $75 but because you are in NY, the out of state interest may be limited because the tax is prepaid and non-refundable. Do you have a disposition fee? That would matter for a short lease like this.

Even with this approach, it’s unlikely you are getting out of it without paying potentially hundreds of dollars or more including for Swapalease which is pricey for a glorified Craigslist.

There are no manufacturer programs I’m aware of to help you so anything a dealer proposes about eating the remaining lease is ultimately being applied against a future lease one way or another.

Does anyone know if Ford has any lease pull ahead or factory incentive forgiveness programs? If so there are some great hybrid Ford deals floating around.

First try carvana, Carmax etc as someone suggested if they allow 3rd party buy outs.

@305Hackr

I believe you are correct about not being able to sell a Ford vehicle to one of the companies listed. I will search and link back once I find the proof of other recent experiences (and the reason as to why).

If the payment were cheap enough, I would assume a lease with 3,000 miles for eight months. Different needs/desires for different people. As long as the car did not require any additional repairs before turn-in and maintenance was up to date, it would be an option for me (though tires may be an issue at that mileage). The only negative I could think of with the above meeting criteria would be the disposition fee if not buying or leasing another Ford or Lincoln. However, @Ramv could always offer that as an incentive.

That’s going to be a much smaller audience then with a car that has 10k/yr left though. Impossible? No. More difficult…I’d think so.

Very true.

I have a 2016 Ford Focus Electric which had an over payoff quote from Carvana. After I submitted my documents, they responded: “Due to a recent change in policy, we no longer accept Ford leased vehicles as we have run into complications in the past working with the local dealerships that handle individual leases with Ford.”

I think part of the problem is that the buyout has to be done with the original dealer the car was leased from. I could buy out the lease myself, hope title comes in 10 days or I’ll have to pay sales tax. Once I have title, sell to Carvana.

I currently in the process of selling it to Vroom. We’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

Hi!

I am in the same situation as vdo2000. My lease buyout is $12,900. Offer from Vroom for the 2016 Ford Focus Electric (with the leather option and 16,500 miles) was $11,900. Offer from Carvana was $14,900. Carmax tried to get through to the original Ford dealer to see if they could buy it, but did not get a response, and they gave up. I might just buy it and turn around and sell it to Carvana. As I am in CA, I have contacted the CDTFA (California Department of Tax and Fee Administration) just to confirm that I can request a Sales Tax refund if the dealer forces me to pay Sales Tax. I am also wondering if the dealer will take a lower offer. :slight_smile:

Regards,

GHTech

A lower offer to purchase the car? The dealer will not as the Holder sets the purchase option price when you sign the lease agreement. I have never heard or read of them paying less than that specified (and agreed to) price.

Hi BPitch!

That is the impression that I am getting. I see a couple of articles that suggest that the dealer will contact you about 3 months out, and may make an offer for a lower price. I guess that they might buy it from the leasing company for a lower price and sell it to you. Just thought I will ask the experts here. Don’t want to keep the car any longer than I have to, as I got the replacement already.

Regards,

GHTech

Oh, I see. Well, I wish you luck, that would be great.

Hi BPitch!

I am not holding my breath on that. :slight_smile:

Regards,

GHTech