Did I get scammed? Spoiler Alert: NO

It has to be done:) that would put him through all the rings of fire fast:) just gotta have thick skin.

Still can’t tell MSRP, but it doesn’t look awful to me. Certainly ok enough that the dealership was probably confused af when you came back in making a scene.

It’s NY. I’ve heard those snowy off-ramps can be quite treacherous sometimes :wink:

(Yes, you’ll probably have to wait until next winter now unless you get a final ‘fuck-you’ snow storm as tends to happen on the East Coast)

2 Likes

Well, the positive is that you at least got the rebate and slight discount if sale price. They could have sold it to you at MSRP. That also happens. Be happy that’s in NY state and dealership fees capped at $75 unlike those in CT, FL etc.

I think where they got you on an inflated interest rate as $2k of rent charge is significant. A lot easier to hide that.
Total paid over 36 months as $15k for for $21k car hurts my eyes.

He sounds young (said he called his dad), so credit score may have caused higher rate.

He said basic Elantra. If that means an SE, MSRP is around $19,330. Rent charge is high, but based on those numbers, he got Hyundais current base MF of 0.00232/5.56%, so credit isn’t an issue.

I wouldn’t pay this for an Elantra, and they didn’t do him any favors or discounts considering Elantra lease cash is $4500 this month, but it looks about right for a first timer who just walked in and leased a car.

He got qualified then for something else as contract shows rebates as $5,3xx.

Not within an hour but maybe a day or two, maybe some weeks or a month if you have patience…I closed my deal within 4 hours or so… paying under $300 for a touring .1.5 Accord…

Just human nature to find solace in more comfortable narrative.

I’m not sure why you thought you could just return the car…the fine print of Hyundai’s 3 day return offer stipulates you return to exchange for another car…not just drop it off and forget it.

Bottom line of this thread…dealer sold you a car and you didn’t negotiate hard enough and took the deal. It’s on you now to learn for the future. Scam…no. Naivete…yup.

Doesn’t look as if the dealer did him any favors. At least he got the lease cash. Not much of any discount off MSRP it appears, still hard to tell though.

This happens. I’ve definitely leased car at MSRP in the past. You take your licks and be back in three years.

Honestly, he probably could have shaved 50 dollars a month with some negotiation, but I don’t consider 50 dollars to be such a significant difference to lose sleep over. He will know for next time.

Take your keys, get your car which agreed on, and come back in 3 years.

He paid MSRP for the car and someone is saying he did not get scammed?

I guess it depends on your definition of scam

The very first local ad I open for Hyundai Elantra Se is

Buy For Only

$16,297

$19,035

SAVE $2,738

that’s not scammed…that’s the fault of the buyer for not walking out or negotiating harder. Dealer is in the business to make money, not be a charity.

failing to negotiate or be informed doesn’t fall under any definition of scam

Well Bill clinton said oral is not sex. so I guess anything goes

1 Like

He also said he smoked but didn’t inhale.

2 Likes

mp1147 for the win. Lock the thread lol

1 Like

Hmmmm…Paging @HondaSoCal Still got that CTR? Would you take an Elantra on trade for it?

2 Likes

You’ve become completely unhinged since you’ve lost trusted status. You are an absolute unit.

1 Like