Congestion tax coming to LA?

No way it passes.

There are a lot of indirect implications to this suggestion.

Maybe a better way to handle it is to tax people going into LA.

Might as well start taxing air while they’re at it

Its all for the common good. I see no issue with it. Helps global warming or climate change whatever they call it nowdays.

They call it more taxes, or whatever you want to call it.

Nothing will happen. We not in France and donthave yellow vests. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so whats the alternative? are we now paying tax to get to work now? i use 60 to get to LA and its pretty bad, but the alternative is drive 40 min in local traffic to el monte and take another 1hour plus bus then walk another 20 min to get to work. tell me how is that gonna work.

Right, and it’d be a lot less bad if you had to pay $ to drive on it at peak times.

I’m not saying if I’m for or against a congestion tax, but my understanding is that charging people is one (if not the only) thing that’s been shown to reduce traffic.

Part of congestion comes from the idea of setting normal business hours for most jobs, many of which don’t need to have normal business hours. All the corporate jobs that seem to indirectly mandate people coming in around 8-9 am and leaving around 3-5 pm are what causes this to begin with. Nothing short of freeing people up to commute to work at their own convenience would change that.

I for one would probably take a 7pm to 2am shift as my mind and my ideas are more active around those hours.

Tax just to tax isn’t going to solve this.

A small part. The congestion frequently worsens on weekends compared to weekdays (in LA anyway).

Elon better get that tunnel done quickly

Oh and the best part about LA is there’s some many alternatives, oh wait, if you don’t have a car you’re hosed.

There are lots of people who work in LA who can’t afford a car and have been getting hosed for decades in a variety of other ways. Welcome to their world.

1 Like

The reason why most people go to work from 8-5 is because most people want to go to work at those times. I don’t know many people that work hard to get advanced degrees, progress at their profession just so they can work overnight and not get to be around their family when they want to, have to miss their children’s events, and be on a completely different schedule than the rest of society.
So out of all the things that cause a traffic problem, I think trying to fix the American work day is probably not the best solution to solving it.

I don’t think the 60 is too bad. The traffic out here is way better than down towards west LA, NoHo, etc.

I can’t see this working. London and Stockholm and other major cities that have this, also have credible transit alternatives. I love public transport. I adore a good bus journey. But even with traffic being horrendous, it’s still quicker for me to drive from DTLA to UCLA each morning than take indirect, slow, infrequent public transit. (evenings are a whole other issue)

I will never, ever understand why a huge sprawling city like LA has transit that….uses the roads too. It makes no sense to me. Shove the trains underground and make them frequent. Create proper bus lanes that bypass traffic. One of the biggest transit issues in this city is how disconnected all the services are. The buses and trains don’t work together the way they do in other cities.

This isn’t just an LA problem either. In my travels across the country, there are more cities with a mediocre (at best) public transit system than cities that have a good one.

I had a great libretarian econ professor who wrote on traffic. An interesting way to look at roads is from a tradgedy of the commons market perspective. If you give a good away for free people will naturally use too much of it, whether it’s grazing pasture on the town commons or highway/urban road space. Most Economic fields of thought would say there is simply no way to meet demand of something you are going to give away for free. Useage will always grow to meet or exceed supply, in this case cars on a road.

Opposition to taxation is fine but if the alternative is just ever worsening traffic you aren’t coming up with solutions. Eisenhower spent a fortune building the interstate system and it resulted in a tremendous return on investment.

I believe most cities are going to need congestion pricing or HOT lanes on highway but the revenue has to dedicated to public transit/providing alternatives.

2 Likes

Except the commodity isn’t really free at the moment. The gas prices in LA are at least TWICE that of most of the flyover states and we’re BIG consumers of the stuff. So LA residents are already paying a premium to be stuck in traffic every day. I would say the answer is utilising the significant revenue already raised from the highest taxed gas in the nation, to fund new transit projects. It’s a much easier sell.

1 Like