California accident within 30 days-DMV and Manufacturer?

Hi,
Unfortunately, one of my relatives was involved in an accident within a few days of buying their vehicle. They are going through their insurance and it looks like its going to be very costly to repair. It seems that they were at fault. They insist to me that there is a law in California that if an accident happens within 30 days of taking posession of the vehicle, that CA DMV and the manufacturer take some responsibility, is that true? I’ve never heard of anything nor could I find anything of that nature. Perhaps I’m mistaken?

I was wondering if anyone on here has been in that kind of a situation and could shed some light?
Thanks

Why in the world would the DMV or manufacturer be responsible. To drive off the lot the dealer takes your insurance info for your prior car and the coverage from the prior car will cover the new car until you add the new car to the policy. I think you have like 30 days to add the new car (don’t quote me on that number). But ultimately your insurance is the one covering, certainly not the DMV.

I believe it’s 10 days in CA.

3 Likes

30 days in CA according to Geico.

Based on the legislation just became effective on Jan 1st, 2019; your relatives are entitled to full refu…just kidding. There is no such thing.

2 Likes

Between this and the cooling off period for everyone, CA has some interesting urban myths. I’m surprised we don’t see more Sasquatch sightings out there too :grin:

What do you mean the “cooling off period” is a myth?! Isn’t it pro-consumer to have one?!

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what they meant. Maybe it is lemon law in the first 30 days? My relatives say the car malfunctioned (i.e. brakes were not working correctly)?

Lemon law is a little more complex than that. Nothing in lemon law about taking a car back for 1 failure in 30 days of ownership. You might be thinking of “30 days in repair with no resolution,” then you are on to something.

Sounds like they are desperately trying to shift blame over the accident. Don’t take it seriously. If there is such law, wish them good luck and stop losing sleep over it.

1 Like

Sounds like they might consider consulting an attorney.

there’s no lemon law case…he was trying to figure out what his relatives were talking about. He thought maybe lemon law, although it’s not as easy as finding a single problem with the car in 30 days either.