48 month lease new industry standard?

Hi! I have been looking at leases for a couple of months now and have always been given information on 36m. Now that I’m getting more serious, I’m hearing 48 months is the new “industry standard.” Is this just a tactic? And is there any advantage to actually signing for 48 months? 36 months is enough of a commitment for me!

Complete BS, who told you that? A dealer? You’ll notice no one does those on here, maybe some 42mo lexus leases, but that’s about it, maybe a subaru too.

Dealer tactic. Even if 48 months gives a lower payment than 36 or 24, you start to run into the risk of warranties running out and wear items like tires and brakes.

Actually, @RVguy mentioned Infiniti is looking to move to a 48 mo term from their 39. I wouldn’t call it industry standard though…just yet.

1 Like

A lot of the warranties are at least 4 years now, but yeah, a 4 year lease almost guarantees you’ll be replacing tires and brakes.

Knew a guy who swore he never replaced brakes in his F150 for 70k miles and that they were just fine.

I avoided ever getting in his car with him.

Depends on what kind of driving you do. 48 month lease almost negates the reason to lease in the first place.

1 Like

Yes, two dealers. They say that’s what everyone is doing now. Honestly, the lack of transparency with dealers is the #1 reason I’m leaning toward purchasing used. I just have no idea of any of them can actually be trusted.

And that’s not because I don’t believe any of them CAN be trusted. It’s just next to impossible to tell which ones can!

Infiniti is 4/60 B2B 6/70 powertrain

4/60 bumper to bumper
6/70 powertrain

The 48 mo was related to lease length, not warranty.

1 Like

I know just excuse for them to lengthen to 48. Infiniti was only 39 lease I have had ever. All others were 36; Honda was 24.

Dealers should be pushing the shorter term, equals more sales

1 Like

if someone is uneducated and is only shopping payment, they dont care if they drive 39 or 48 mo as long as the payment goes into the territory they can afford. Warranty coverage isn’t even on their mind and the salesman isn’t going to bring it up and risk the sale. You’d be surprised how many people do 48 mo leases.

1 Like

I’ve been going down to 24. No brakes tires replaced and a new car much more often. Winning.

4 Likes

In my early days in the car business we did a bunch of 48 month leases, still in warranty (Acura TL, RL).

Later American Honda Finance did 36 and 39 specials mostly…sometimes 24.

I’m in agreement here, 24-36 for minimal maintenance and easier to re-market vehicle.

I can see this happening in the near future. Artificial way to keep payments low even as RVs fall and rates rise.

When I first started out in the business at a Toyota store, they always pushed the 48mo lease as the cheaper alternative, meanwhile the customer was getting crushed

So, forgive the green question, but what is the drawback of a 48 month lease? It’s less money total and they “say” you can just turn it in at the end of 36 months and not lose anything. Are they just blowing smoke?

They are offering $350/month zero down for 48 or $450 with zero down for 36. Not budging beyond this, but I think it is a true zero down. I don’t feel like I have enough info to know if it’s a good deal :frowning:

You need to post more details, msrp selling price etc. Need to post a lease sheet so we can dissect the deal. In general 48mo is not desirable. You might just want to hire a broker.