2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Anyone recently bought the Mitsubishi outlander PHEV. Wanted to know the experience and the price they received. Planning to test drive this weekend. If someone received a good deal, It helps me to negotiate with the dealer. As of now, dealer is offering 2000+500 in incentives against the MSRP, which comes to around $33k.

NorCal? Seeing the same thing here. Not moving more than $500 dealer discount.

I was working a deal for a friend in Phoenix and here are some raw numbers I received from a local Mitsubishi dealer. *This was just over email with not too much effort so I would guess if my friend went in, saw the car, went home and started negotiating over email he could gain a better deal.

2018 PHEV SE:

36/12k - 48% residual - MF of .47% (Ally Bank doesn’t list typical MF is what I was told)

$37270.00 - MSRP
2350.00 - Discount
4800.00 - Tax Credit/Rebate
1047.60 - Tax (not sure why they listed the tax as a whole here as in AZ it’s in each payment)
665.00 - License
498.00 - Doc
400.00 - Security Deposit
595.00 - Acquisition Fee

$367.45 - monthly payment (wasn’t sure if this included tax or before tax as they didn’t make it clear and I didn’t run it through the calculator)

As this wasn’t for me, didn’t spend too much time looking over all of this but wanted to post as this thread was updated. Asking for the $2350 off the MSRP didn’t seem to difficult, could push for more I am sure.

None of the dealers I spoke to in CA (both n/s cali) mentioned anything about passing the tax credit to me for a lease deal.

What I was told is that Ally Bank is the exclusive lender for this vehicle and they are passing $4800 of the $5836 to the customer. If you purchase the vehicle I believe you receive the entire $5836 but not off the sale of the vehicle but as a tax reduction off your 2018 taxes. If someone wants to chime in here, I could be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

This is a probably a miscommunication. Technically speaking they are not “passing” any tax credit to you. Ally take the $5800 tax credit and give you a $4800 rebate on the sale price. To the dealer, it’s considered a “rebate”, not a “tax credit”.

I would wait to make deals next month. I see dealer stocks are piling up. A lot of dealers that has less than 10 cars months ago, now has over 20+ vehicles.

This coupled with sales number going down for April, I hope there will be big sales in June.

This month they also reduced the manufacturer’s rebate from $2500 to $2000. Which will probably drop their sales further.

Makes sense, but are there some cases were the lenders won’t give you a rebate and keep the entire “tax credit” on PHEV’s? Seems like the savings is always passed down on leases…

I can’t remember the name, but someone on this forum mentioned there was a lender that gave zero rebates on EV. So yea, it has happened, but you are right, the savings are usually passed down.

1 Like

I went to the dealer today in Bay Area and test drove the vehicle. The big plus is the PHEV, which gets the HOV sticker in California. The inside space didn’t seemed like an SUV.

Regarding the pricing, the dealer was giving $500 apart from the factory rebate of $2000. It would cost around $37.5k on road. I would get the rebates later.

I am not in a hurry. So, will wait for the next month offer. If its not good, I would go for another car.

1 Like

Thanks - pretty much same story here. I’ll wait till they fill up the lots and then realize they need to clear 2018 inventory.

1 Like

I have been shopping around in North Carolina for a 2018 Outlander Phev and so far have gotten a light offer (via email) for $0 down, $367/month with 12k miles. Is there anything else I should be looking out for? I had another dealership offer be the same but with putting $1,800 down. When I asked if they would be able to match that, they said they would check but that I should watch out for “what’s in the fine print”. Do you think they are just trying to scare or that there is some other way I could get caught off-guard with something?

That sounds like a pretty good offer and matches the quote I got in Phoenix. Just make sure to ask for the numbers so you can be certain they are not jacking up the MF or adding other hidden fees.

Thanks for that @Chumpy34. Relieved to hear it’s a good deal. I’m still debating if I want to try and see if the other dealership will counter this offer. But I’m also worried about over playing my hand.

Looking at this vehicle too. Was thinking to to try the ‘reverse auction’ approach last week of May to try to catch a dealer that needs ‘one more over the line’ to hit monthly sales targets.

Wondering if you think it will make a difference to wait until early June. I have some flexibility on timing but need to replace an old car pretty soon (so I can’t wait until the 2019 model is about to show up) …

Ha, the sales guy I took for a test drive in Oakland ‘casually’ mentioned that demand for the Outlander PHEV is off the charts, no one in the Bay Area is selling below MSRP. But he does have a half-dozen on his (small) lot.

Doth protest too much?

On the other hand I think the car pretty awesome and seems to fit well with the demographic here so maybe I’m just hoping it’s not a seller’s market.

For the same monthly as a $45k Alfa Stelvio I’m sure they’re selling like hotcakes.

I can’t think of a car company with a greater chance of exiting the US market in the next few years, leaving anyone with a warranty claim to be SOL.

Here the Kia dealership is the Mitsubishi dealer as well, but from online reviews they only have Mitsubishi-certified techs available one day a week.

I don’t expect them to last here.

I saw another one in person. Man those badges and stickers are very 2000ish.