2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Full range 330miles with 11 gallon tank.
MPG is about 30 combine with the 22 battery range, and also the energy recycle for speed up and break, so I would say if you don’t have a charger, consider it around 28-29 mpg as a hybrid car.

110 HP gas engine on an SUV. Lol. Pass…

1 Like

That’s a workable mpg and range.

According to wingmyway’s explanation above it has 160 HP combined. I had that much HP on Lancer GT…so it’s still only good for around town or rush hour/commute driving.

I would suggest for a test drive as different driving requirement may need different power chain.

Try the speed up feeling when you start from 0-40, it is very different than gas powered car, from my perspective, I can feel the power at this speed.

Hi. Yes. I am looking for the GT model.

There are multiple people on this thread who have been looking for the right deal for the PHEV.

Technically it’s 197 hp because the gas engine can clutch in to help drive the wheels directly at higher speed. But because it’s single speed you don’t get full power until you’re driving fast enough to get the stink-eye from the highway patrol. It would be really cool if you could get full power from all three motive sources at once: 270 hp, if only in bursts, would make this trucklet move.

You guys tell me if I am on to something here…

So right now the Mitsubishi dealer in Corona, CA is offering an Outlander PHEV for $27,256 after some standard rebates.

Instead of leasing, because it’s not favorable right now, I buy the vehicle out right.

$27,256 - $5,836 (fed rebate) - $1500 (state rebate) = $19,920

The residuals after 3 years is like ~$17K, a regular gas outlander also sells for about $17K after 3-years.

So we’ll be paying roughly $3K for 3-years then flip the car back to CarMax.

What do you guys think? Would this work?

You forgot to include TTL and you should assume the car will be worth 30% of MSRP in 3 years.

Thanks for the info @max_g!

$35915 MSRP x .30 = $10775

Not bad actually. I am getting ridiculous $470+/mo for leases because there are like zero rebates for leases.

At $10775 sell back, I could net the car at like $20K and still be up on the deal.

~$10K / 36 months = $277/mo

I am gonna try to negotiate ~$27K OTD.

Depending on where you live, you can also search for utility and city/county rebates

Only issue with flipping purchased cars in ca is sales tax. Sales tax is going to either eat into your margin or you have to pay an extra $2k!

For the 27k price after the standard rebate, I suggest you double check with dealer to make sure they don’t include the 5800 state rebate inside as that is a very common trick they are using.

If it is not, the 27k is a very good point to start.

1 Like

Loyalty for Mitsubishi is usually $500. PG&E rebate in my area is $500.

Bumping – what kind of lease deals are people being offered on this bad boy? My ideal would be to lease the GT for the price of the SEL, or lease the SEL for cheap, but it’s kind of a weird situation with the leases: even dealers that advertise huge discounts on a purchase won’t apply them to a lease; seems like everyone is offering the same factory lease (on an SEL: $4033 down, $289/mo, 12k mi/yr, 3 years, 19c/mi for overage).

Incidentally, does anyone else find it kinda lame that Mitsu also makes really basic stuff “optional” (floormats, tonneau cover, and hood badge all optional on a $40k car!?) to inch up the price a bit? Not the best example to set for their dealers (just encourages crap like “I can’t take the VIN etching and Tru-Coat off, they’re already on the car”).

So what happened? Was the $27k price real or bull?

Bull… apparently that dealership is known for it…

I am just waiting for Mitsubishi to dump these.

I am betting it will pile up in their dealerships soon enough…

One LA dealer has like 28 on their lot.

1 Like

That’s a shame. I don’t know why dealers think it’s a good idea to pull that stuff. It doesn’t close a deal, and it gives bad PR. I’m inclined to do biz with my local guy because although he’s no discounter he’s not going to try to pull a fast one either.

1 Like

I am right there with you - waitiing game - hoping year end clearance is crazy on this