2018 Audi SQ5 Premium Plus MSRP $65,180 MSRP, $685/mo, 12k/36m

yeah, the fake exhaust is the only thing I dislike, and Audi gets blasted for it in every review of the sq5. but, I’ve gotten used to it, and even if I owned the car, I wouldn’t modify it.

I am actually in the market for a Q5, even got a dealer sending me offers saying that they’re willing to eat up to $2500 in payments on my dodge charger (I still have about 4 months left). My goal is to 1% on 53k MSRP…what are the chances?

Going there Sunday to test drive

Just be careful when a dealer says they will eat your existing payments. In every deal I have negotiated, I got the purchase price and terms set first before I even mentioned a trade or existing lease. Every time a sales person tells me not to worry about my remaining payments, they are really just rolling those payments into the new lease. If you negotiate 12% off a Q5, don’t be surprised if they suddenly aren’t willing to eat the payments on the Charger. The dealer is not going to discount their new car to the bone, and take a loss on your used car. I cannot see you getting to 1% on a Q5 with nothing down AND a trade that’s upside down. 1% on the Q5 alone takes some serious discounting. Just have your eyes open when you meet with your salesman.

thanks buddy.

I know they will try that, but I am not in a hurry to switch cars yet and I mainly just want to test drive the Q5 and then XC60, X3 and also stelvio.

I told the sales person that im just coming in to test drive, if they try to press me to make a deal ill offer to take it at 1% with no money down. If theyre desperate ill take the Q5

1 Like

Yeah everyone is also giving OP a hard time for putting “too much down” but looking at the numbers he actually didn’t put too much down, he mostly had a lot due at signing because he has to pay the tax up front for NY state, there’s no getting out of that.

He probably should have pushed for a bigger discount but it’s not the worst deal ever, this is a very hard car to lease cheaply.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

I just picked up a 2018 A3 after shopping in four different states for it, two of which I have lived in the last 30 days. Anyone can get the dealer to take 10% off the MSRP before rebates with minimal pressure, it should be your starting point. It seems to be difficult to get past that. I’d love to learn how.

One way to save a few bucks is to get AudiCare, which knocks your residual up a point and pays for itself in your first out-of-pocket visit to a dealer. The nice thing about getting a leased Audi serviced at the dealer is they will do things like replace the brake fluid for free, probably because it’s still their car and it costs practically nothing when one has the tools and it’s already on the rack. It’s also nice if you keep the car because the transmission service at 35K is a whopper.

1 Like

Which dealer do you use in Chicago? I feel like the Audi Exchange and FJ are rarely motivated to move cars at all.

I used Orland Park for my 13% off the 2019 A5 coupe order. FJ offered me 13% off a 2019 S4 or A5 coupe. Morton Grove offered me 13% off a 2018 S4 in stock, but they didn’t have one with my options. Morton Grove just gave another forum member 15% off a 2018 Q5 in stock. Audi Exchange seemed eager to deal on existing 2018s, but not as eager on a 2019 order.

Back in August I got same MSRP SQ5 for $1500 driveoff $690/36 in socal. This price includes the tax.

you can also point out the fake exhaust on the SQ5 and ask for a better discount :wink:

1 Like

From the pictures in OP’s posts, it looks like the SQ5 comes with the Akrapovic exhaust. If that’s the case, it’ll sound narly. Those are real exhaust tips, as well.

Why do some people on here think that NYS charges tax up front? You DO NOT have to pay sales tax upfront on a lease in NY.

1 Like

Because that’s the law in New York. You can ask the for an additional loan from the leasing company (if they allow it) to loan you additional money to pay the taxes that are due up front and then pay them back over the lease but then you’re paying interest on your taxes. New York state must be paid in full for taxes on the entirety of the lease at the time of sale. Taxes are also due at the time of sale on things like the acquisition fee and any other non-state dealer fees.

That’s why the leasehackr calculator shows you the taxes in the up front payment for New York residents.

See:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/leasing-car-what-fees-do-you-pay-start-lease-248805

The real question is why you’d come on here to ask why everyone else is saying this without looking up the law yourself.

1 Like

anyone have a break down of standard audi DAS?

I know its 895 acquisition fee but what else ? dmv/title/plates?

Sweet golf

No, you are wrong and so are your crappy articles. Educate yourself first before posting crap. You pay sales tax on the monthly payment not on a full price of the car in NYS. You DO NOT have to pay full sales tax up front on any leased car in NYS as you stated above. I have leased cars for many years now and never paid anything more besides first month payment and DMV registration, if anyone told you otherwise they lied to you.
Also I would suggest you read the article you quoted above, here is paragraph which contradicts what you posted:
“When you lease a car, however, you only have to pay sales tax on the amount the car will depreciate during the lease term. In other words, you only pay sales tax on a portion of the vehicle’s value - the portion you will use during the lease.”

So people keep talking about the “1% rule” (where applicable), but who can clarify what it actually is? Taxes are different in each state, so I don’t think it is fair to include those. Acquisition fee? Not all are the same.

I got quotes that are very similar to the OP. Unfortunately my gf’s A3 has a couple payments left, so I am going to roll the dice for another month I think. The payments are only 350 each so I might eat two to make a deal before the 18s aren’t around anymore. However, I spoke to a dealer who showed me that there are still 18’s that haven’t been delivered to dealers yet. 27 that are either delivered or still in transit that are identical to what she and I want in our region…

One dealership did offer a great deal today, they claim they were at 11% off and at the buy rate but it didn’t add up. If he was at the base rate with that kind of discount, the payments should be in the low 6’s. He never showed me his worksheet though.

Enjoy

So in my opinion it should be 1% of the MSRP of the car forgetting about taxes/fees since they vary by state and car. Also residuals change the payment and that depends on the mileage you get 7500,10,12,15k etc. I feel like some people think it should be 1% all in, but you cant compare apples to apples most times.

In the case of the OP, his money down was just covering the fees/ tax and the first payment. He was pretty close to 1% in my eyes. My hellcat was pretty close to 1% “all in” but I put down money for personal reasons.

Anyways im hoping the programs get slightly better tomorrow on the 18 SQ due to the amount of inventory and the 19s being in production (I believe).