You might want to act quickly if you want a Bolt in NJ

I’ve been trying to get in contact with him (@AA-NJ) since last evening, no response. Seems weird since in his other posts he mentioned he would be cranking out cars these few days.

1 Like

He might be swamped with existing inquiries, or something else.

2 Likes

Hmm… yeah. I really want the car and today is the last day. Looks like I have to talk directly to drakes which I’ve never done before. Wish me luck lol

1 Like

Good luck!!! They don’t bite. Expect the worst and You might be surprised. LOL

Yea I’ve been trying to get in touch as well, he must be really busy being it is the last day and all.

Good luck! But the more you arm yourself with the numbers, the less luck you’ll need.

I got all the numbers (RV,MF, and lease cash) from Edmunds, but now trying to get the selling price from the dealer without incentives. Doing that over phone seems tough especially since I don’t know what I am doing lol.

There’s really no time for any of that back and forth.

Search the forum for NJ deals (what are you looking for, Bolt or Ioniq or indifferent?) and tell them you can do $X one-pay for Bolt or $Y per month for Ioniq with 0 DAS.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone was able to get something done before the rebate expired…

I wasn’t, Brokers were busy and no dealers had in stock. One had two in stock, but they didnt want to negotiate online…

I tried getting in touch with brokers and Hyundai dealers from 9am to 6pm. Wasn’t able to get in touch with anyone.

Safe to say that no Hyundai dealer was set up for this volume of requests, nor did any of them care enough about yesterday’s rush to get cars out the door. The general consensus from dealers is that the Hyundai programs are still great without the NJ rebate, and they’ll have no problem selling the cars after the expiration, so no urgency on their side.

Obviously that created an imbalance, a huge number of inbound requests started spiking once Customers realized that the program was ending. Clearly a lot of people had been on the fence, but didn’t want to jump at my sub-$100 pricing until it was too late.

Coupled with the people that were already in queue from last week to get cars, it devolved into chaos pretty quickly. Net result is dealers (and me) just got overwhelmed and had to shut off our phones. It was impossible to get back to anyone with calls and texts flying in every 10 seconds. It would be impossible to deliver any one customer a good experience in the middle of this hysteria.

Please allow for about a week for things to calm down. I’d imagine that some stragglers may show up and some good deals may be accessible in the fallout. I’ll get back to everyone, and make sure refunds are issued in any case where I owe anyone money. But it’s safe to say that most people on the seller side just “Nope’d out” once yesterday came along and everyone on the customer side went nuts because ITS THE LAST DAY.

Don’t get me wrong, I was in Hyundai dealers all day yesterday. I saw some of You (the collective You, collective LH community) trying to lease EVs.

I’m sure some NJ residents did get some great deals yesterday, but I’m also sure the amount of effort put in was not worth it for anyone that has a real job and values their time. Yesterday was not a fun day for anyone to be in a Hyundai dealership. I’d imagine Chevrolet was no different.

I’m glad that so many people were able to get into these cars over the last ~6 months or so that I’ve been offering the cheapest repeatable EV lease in NJ. Sorry that this price had to come to an end, but I’ll still be back with the cheapest repeatable EV, PHEV, and Gas Hyundai deals around soon.

Tl~dr: The average Hyundai/CHevy dealer doesn’t associate EV demand directly with the CHARGE UP NJ rebate. All yesterday did was make them think they have a hot product and clam up. They saw yesterday as a demand surge and they’re thinking they’ll sell plenty more just fine without the rebate.

1 Like

It’s safe to say that the Hackrworthy deals as we knew them are gone for good, especially now that Phase 2 of the program will be entirely in the dealer’s hands if/when it returns in the summer.

2 Likes

The dealers want to sell cars, really. EVs are new and foreign to them and they don’t fully understand how to price them, which is what leads to the trend we’ve been seeing. Most of the year, the cars are far too expensive, then for a short blip, they’re way too cheap.

Through this experience, I’ve gotten a really good bearing on what an actual customer in NJ is willing to pay for an EV, and what value the typical customer may derive from the car.

It is my intention to continue to offer EV deals that are aligned with what the Customer is Willing to Pay. Some of my dealership partners have seen the light, and the big picture. Together, we’re excited to show you what a Hackr-worthy sustainable future of EVs in NJs looks like. The future is bright!

1 Like

Well, you sure have the right attitude going forward considering how hard it will be without the $5k rebate. Rooting for you, man! Good luck!

It’s worth mentioning that even without the 5k my Bolt would have been $166 a month with zero drive off thanks to the tax exemption and factory incentives. So for the average customer that needs a car, if they see something like that, or even just something attainable for under 200 a month it will probably still sell to those people. What will happen then is that the smart dealers will make adjustments with their fees, add-ons, markups, etc to keep the pricing similar since they’ll be the ones applying the rebate money directly once it eventually comes back.

2 Likes

What about the sales tax exemption? Is that over?

As far as I know EVs are still tax exempt. The suspension of the rebate program didn’t have anything to do with that.

Lots of focus here on the budget EV options, but it seem the program remains unchanged for those in NJ shopping for EV’s above the $55K MSRP threshold.

ie
Most Teslas
Audi eTron, Taycan
BMW i8
Hummer EV
Gladiator EV

2 Likes