Wrong Amount Given at Signing?

Hi, LeaseHackrs… Longtime lurker, recent account maker, first time posting. I am in need of some guidance, and I hope you all can help.

I picked up a lease out-of-state almost two weeks ago. My DAS was exactly as my broker (Thanks, LH!) had stated, providing me with proof of my numbers, so no surprise when I picked up the vehicle, and wrote a check for that amount. Fast forward to now, not having any interactions with anyone since pick-up day, I receive a voice mail from the finance representative that I sat down with at the dealership (confirming the exact dollar amount before I even wrote out the check, him double-checking the paperwork), wondering if I had talked to my salesman, as to see if I had made arrangements with him to send the rest of the money… (?).

I have not even moved the folder with all of the paperwork since pick-up day, so I looked at my “Lease Buyers Order,” and I see that the amount listed for Total Due at Delivery is not even close to what I wrote the check for, almost $3K less (!). The check amount that I had written and confirmed is listed within the How Amount Due at Signing Will Be Paid, underneath Customer Cash. When I do the math, when I take the Total Due at Delivery amount and subtract it from the Rebates and Non-Cash Credits (another subcategory of the How Amount Due at Signing Will Be Paid), I get the amount that I did and was expecting to pay. I am so confused!

If I was given the Total Due at Delivery amount that is listed on my paperwork from the get-go whether in the form of the LH calculator link provided by my broker, communications through him with pictures of a price breakdown, etc., I would have gone a different direction.

What should my next step be to remedy this? I do not want to get in “trouble,” so to speak, and I hope that this can all be worked out.

Thanks,

Katie

Can you post your contract and what you paid?

This is a little confusing. You said the total due at delivery is 3k less than what you signed a check for, but then you say the total due at delivery subtracted from rebates and non-cash credit is what you paid.

Can you post the contract and the math you did? That will help greatly. Not really possible to tell what the money is going to without actually seeing the numbers and factors.

The check amount I wrote was the $3617.00.

That looks right. The rest of the “total due at delivery” is covered by the rebates. It even lists it in the “How amount due at signing will be paid.”

Looks correct to me. Only way I could see there being confusion is if one of those rebates required some sort of proof (like new grad needing to send in a copy of a degree) and that not happening.

Have you received confirmation from the finance company that your account is active?

Thanks, @Jon and @mllcb42! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t looking at anything wrong or made a misstep along the way.

Perhaps the voice mail was a bit of confusion on his part (and mine!)? Making a multiple hour trip on a deal, you’d hope everything is buttoned up and good… It’s kind of a shock to hear, “You owe us $3K more!”

Yes, Matt, my account is stated as “Active,” so I was relieved to see that, too.

I haven’t contacted anyone back from the dealership, so should I just wait for another call or e-mail or just keep on rolling on down the road?

I think I’d email them with a picture of the contract and the cleared check and say “I checked the contract to verify all was well, and as you can see you cashed the check for the contract amount. Have a nice day”

1 Like

Seems like a misunderstanding. I’d call and find out exactly what they are asking for. Or probably even easier to talk to your broker and have him/her handle it and explain to you.

2 Likes