Would you consider a cheaper (GM employee discounted) Bolt over a base spec Model 3 RWD?

$0, taking advantage of free chargers on plugshare :slight_smile:

1 Like

How much do you drive daily and where do you drive?

I’m not sure why you used a useless thread tag like USA-nationwide. The practicality of driving an EV heavily depends on geographic-specific stuff like climate, terrain, infrastructure, etc.

1 Like

Pothole-filled Michigan. Tags were difficult to use on mobile and it forced me to select one, so I chose nationwide.

Are you in DTW metro? There are plenty of free chargers around town.

1 Like

Yes, residence in Oakland County. Work throughout Oakland, Livingston and Washtenaw Counties.

@chelseab 2 Bolt LT2s were just posted

1 Like

My Suggestion: test Drive both…then come back here and let us know what you think!!!

Other than that I vote Tesla 3-even a used one for a lot less can be found on their website (unless you’re eager on the $7500 tax credit) Since your mileage allowance will cover the Bolt monthly your TCO on the Tesla should be less and a no brainer… get a much better vehicle for not too much out of pocket (as you stated above).
You will get more $$$ back on the Tesla than the Bolt when you resell. I’ve also had both at the same time, driven both to Vegas on multiple occasions and Tesla was a breeze as charging time was minimal 10-15 mins, with the Bolt I had to spend half an hour to an hour couple of times before reaching 320 miles to Vegas (hills take a bit more energy). As for L2 charging they will both charge about the same 25-30 miles per hour
Bolt as a lease is fantastic 'cause when the value tanks you just drive it in to the GM dealer, as a purchase not so much.
Yes prices now are holding up, but what happens in 3-4-5 years when they drop a LOT.
Also, consider that Basic Warranty is 3/36K miles on the Bolt, as Tesla is 4/50K miles

1 Like

Maybe I’m searching in all the wrong places but I don’t see worthwhile discounts on used Model 3s. Apparently Tesla corporate adds FSD to all the lightly used cars they resell, so that washes away those would-be discounts. And on the non-corporate offered used cars, the discounts don’t seem to be there. And also, it seems like a headache gauging where range (battery degradation) currently sits, tire tread, body dings and interior condition, and potential shipping charges.

Ideally, I’d love to find a base spec RWD demo with 3,000 to 12,000 miles on it for a couple grand off the $35,000 new pricing (after federal rebate). But those don’t seem to exist? People seem to want to pocket the $7,500 tax credit and still want $35,000-43,000 for their lightly used RWD.

Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see the point in buying used at that point?

So I’ll likely order a brand new 2023 with a few taps on my phone and pick up 10 miles from my house.

Sounds good, you know your situation much better than anybody else and if a new one without FSD or EAP for the $7500 tax credit is a better deal (just remember, you won’t get this till 2024 tax returns, assuming you have that much in liability to claim) go for it, but do drive both and see which you prefer better before committing

I’ve seen a few 2020 and 2021 without the FSD or EAP listed on their website for low $30’s with just AP 25K-45K miles

1 Like

We got a call today that an unspoken for Bolt LT2 hit the lot. I could come buy it NOW for MSRP and use my GM Employee pricing.

Get there and they tacked on several thousand dollars in bogus crap. Sleazy nonsense. Thanks Chevy for making my decision for me: Tesla it is.

2 Likes

Ugh, Chevy dealers are the worst. Low-class and often incompetent.

It’s a shame, because the EUV really is a decent vehicle (fast charging speed aside). Much more comfortable ride than a Model 3, and more spacious. But the dealer part of the equation definitely sucks.

1 Like

Low class is right. A gross experience. I think the Bolt is a solid car for MSRP (and GM Employee pricing, plus the $7,500 federal rebate). But it is not decent when the loan creeps up towards Model 3 RWD territory with fake add-ons.

1 Like

Hey, just reading and I’m wondering how you had your 2020 replaced with an EUV due to recall. I’m in a leased 2020 Premier that is still pending both recalls, so this is of interest to me.

You have to reach out to the Chevy EV concierge to discuss your options. The term to use is “substitution of Collateral”. I’m not sure if they are offering that as an option anymore though. I started my inquiry last spring.

I have owned two Model 3s, (RWD and Dual Motor) and a Bolt EUV. The Model 3 is dynamically superior in every way. The Bolt drives like a basic economy car.

That being said, the Bolt EUV is WAY more roomy. If you have a requirement for like a rear facing car seat, or just generally a car for carrying more than 2 people in, the Model 3 is not comfortable in the back at all. You can see that with Model Y sales blowing past Model 3 these days. Price gap is not huge, Y handles really poorly, but it’s roomy, and that’s what sells to most people

2 Likes

Can confirm. Did a long drive in the Y and it’s night and day when it comes to leg room, comfort getting in and out, and road visibility compared to the lower and tighter 3. Y is a lot more money though compared to the RWD 3.

1 Like

Just curious…what year was your Bolt? I’ve only driven my son’s 2023 Bolt a few times but I thought it was a really fun car to drive.

2 Likes
  1. I mean yes EVs even cheap slow ones are zippy and nimble compared to 4 cylinder economy cars, but the Bolt is still squishy, soft, slow light steering effort, and torque steers. Model 3 has really fast nicely weighted steering so it turns in super fast, it’s well planted, feels lower. There’s really no comparison
1 Like

Agreed that Bolt EUV is definitely not as sporty/compliant as a model 3 in any sense, but comfort-wise I find it much better. The 3 is harsh, bumpy, and kind of noisy by comparison. GM made a huge leap in interior isolation and fit/finish from original EV to EUV.

Higher-spec EUVs also have a few comfort features that aren’t available on the M3 (as far as I’m aware) such as ventilated seats, an actual roof shade, etc.

1 Like

I’m in Michigan, so we can’t lease. I’m mulling between new Model 3 and used Model Y but don’t see any discount on used cars several years old? A brand spanking new 2023 Y after federal rebate is $47k-53k with immediate delivery. How is a local three year old 2020 Y Perf with 40,000 miles still nearly $54k? Are people actually paying this or are dealers being delusional?