Would you choose a Tesla Model Y or BMW i4 e35?

I did not, I got a fiance instead

2 Likes

Massive depreciation. High maintenance costs. Can you lease it? :grinning:

3 Likes

There is a by the hour option but it too comes with its risks.

1 Like

Took my first road trip in the Model Y. The actual range is nowhere close to the estimated range. I started with a 290 mile range. I had to stop TWICE to recharge a total of 195 extra miles. And I arrived back home with less than 45 miles on the range estimate. That would imply I used 440 miles of estimated range. The actual trip was 320 miles. So it took me 440 miles of range to actually travel 320 miles implying my 318 mile range is more like 232 miles IRL. That’s pretty bad.

On the plus side, charging was super simple and fast in the Tesla compared to using EA chargers.

2 Likes

If you are doing 75mph, and generally not driving to conserve battery, you will not hit the Tesla range targets.

Overtime, the car’s range calculation will adapt to your driving style, and become more accurate.

2 Likes

If depreciation and total cost is one of the factors, also consider that u have to pay sales tax on the lease payments for the bmw

I saw my first i4 on the road yesterday,
Great looking car.

2 Likes

I think a better way to measure this is the battery % vs the “miles” if your car is still “new” the miles estimate does not have enough data to accurately estimate.

Factor in the hills, AC/HEAT used and/or cold weather will greatly impact the “mileage”

Since you already have the Model Y, I’d just keep it. If you were cross-shopping the two, I’d lean towards the i4.

1 Like

Absolutely. Just did a drive from Southern MI/Northern IN back down south and faced 15-25kt crosswinds, snow flurries and 15-20* OAT. Range is 100% terrible in those conditions.

That sounds boring. I have LH fever and always need to jump from a good deal to a better deal. :grin:

1 Like

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF by PeacockTV

Anything but Tesla. Built quality is shit. Youtube it.

2 Likes

Actually, one of my bigger considerations is the ad valorem tax in GA (basically sales tax). When you trade in a car and buy a car from the same dealer, you only pay tax on the price difference. For leases, you only pay tax on the lease payments and there is no credit for trade ins.

Pre Covid, I used to keep 2 owned cars and 1 leased car as the primary driver. Due to the lack of lease deals during Covid (and the EV tax credits), I now own all of our current cars. If I sell the MY to lease the i4, I will be giving up about $3000 in potential tax credit. If I believe lease deals will be readily available going forward (which I do somewhat believe), then I’d prefer getting back to leasing the primary. If I later end up purchasing a car again, I’m going to be kicking myself for wasting $3k in tax credit.

I waste wayyyy too much time thinking about this stuff.

My wife and I had our i4 e40 for just over a month and it is an incredible car. True BMW build quality from a well established car company.

Rented two Tesla’s on Turo in the past and truly hated both because they felt nowhere near as good in quality.

Moreover, if you enjoy handling as much as tech, then the i4 is the clear winner.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.