Worth doing half PPF on a leased car?

I make several trips a year from Reno to Sacramen to during the year and there are some pretty crap weather conditions at times, with a leased car that has probably 4-5k miles is it worth doing PPF at this stage or should I consider going with a ceramic coating option?

I have PPF on my financed car (2018 Subaru Legacy) and it looks like it just came out of the dealership lot still.

Obviously PPF is an investment but do you think it’s worth it?
This will be my first lease and I want to keep the car in pristine condition obviously and don’t want to be dinked too much on wear and tear at the end of my lease.

For a minimal cost perhaps.

You put PPF on a legacy?

I don’t think it’s worth investing that type of money on leased cars… just get the car washed and wax/polish it when you can.

Save your money.

2 Likes

Hey nothing wrong with a Legacy :slight_smile: still my baby!
Since I financed and plan to own the leggy for a while I thought it was a good investment.
A friend put the PPF for me and gave me a good price, full frontal wrap along the a pillars for around $1200.

With the new lease that I am getting I’m more concerned about the wear and tear and chips driving through the mountains in the snow.

Volvo’s are nice cars, but who knows how good of a paint they have.

Btw here is a pic of my baby:

This isn’t obvious to me at all.

When I cash out of an investment I expect to get all of my money back plus a reasonable profit.

How is this possible on a Legacy (never mind a Volvo lease)?

1 Like

I would not do it on a leased car, but your Subaru does look nice👍

1 Like

People, companies make investments to mitigate their risk of losing money too.

1 Like

Like I said, I don’t know that much about the product. How much does it cost?

If you get back $1.25 in reduced wear/increased value upon disposal of the vehicle for every $1 you spent on the film, that makes a lot of sense financially.

If you spend $20 to get back an extra $1 when you sell the car, that’s not an investment. That’s a rat hole.

1 Like

Volvo paint is fine. They are also reasonable about wear and tear, so some rock chips are no big deal. As long as you don’t drive every day behind trucks hauling rocks, you’re fine.

Long story short, generally the cost of ppf on a leased car is not worth it.

Not to be pedantic but that’s a hedge not an investment.

Extreme to make a point. If you like it, pay for it, don’t apologize for it or call it something it isn’t.

What OP is describing is normal wear and tear. Agree that regular wash/wax is plenty. Stone chips etc happen.

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:

1 Like

totally anecdotal but i had about $50 of damage on my S90 autovin report. The final liability statement from volvo showed $0 damage.

I went to check my lease online but amazingly VFS shuts down the account immediatly so i wasn’t able to see if there was a wear and tear waiver written in the terms.

I wouldn’t do it. I actually had my Lexus wrapped for the price of a PPF instead. PPF was 2x more expensive just for the front of the car vs I had a different color car. Lexus paint was terrible from factory as I saw orange peel same day I bought it. I raised the issue to LFS and the dealer, both basically told me to deal with it. My wife did have a black S90 and paint was overall pretty good. We ran it through many car washes but never saw major defects.

If I were you, ceramic coat the front end as it will be cheaper

1 Like

I think I will have a friend do ceramic coating when I get it, it will make car cleaning a lot easier.

I would get the ceramic coating over the PPF. The PPF will help with smaller scratches, but not against damage that you will be charged for like door dings, dents, and deep/large scratches. The ceramic coating will be a better investment in your happiness since cleaning your car will be easier and less frequent.

1 Like

It’s not worth it.

I did it on my 120k M6 coupe lease at a cost of 1k.

Was it worth it? Yes - the car was always flawless.

1 Like

Cool now we have a new % of MSRP metric

1 Like

PPF is a waste of money on any car.

Subaru and Honda have the worst Clear coats in the auto industry…