Worst leases you've seen

No way. How is that even possible? The total payments costs more than the MSRP.

Right, they wouldn’t show their math. I got a screen cap of the final numbers. They did ask what my monthly number was after I balked at their gracious offer, but there’s no way you could get something reasonable if that’s where they start at. I honestly have no idea how a payment like that is even possible.

It has to be a finance quote, and they just have no idea what they’re doing… right?

Edit: Another email, finance manager made a mistake. Actual quote is $524 with zero down. But the sales person stuck by the initial numbers for a disturbingly long time.

1 Like

Many sales people are just data entry and have no concept of numbers.

Maybe the fact that you visited them in your Armani suit and gold chain led the dealer to believe you had lots of money to spend :slight_smile:

Maybe you look like a famous rapper, singer, athlete etc etc etc

He went for a $40K A4, for god’s sake!

It was the digital cluster, like a moth to a flame.

1 Like

They thought he was shopping for his 16 year old kid as a beater to go to school :slight_smile:

Audi
35500 MSRP
7000 down (4000 cash + 3000 trade value)
36 months 10k miles a year
448/mo including Tax

A guy I work with got a 36/12 on a 19k Sentra 2500 down 409 a month. It included some kind of extended warranty which lasted longer than the lease. Everybody at work who hears about it crushes him.

3 Likes

Cochran, right? I’ve heard a number of horror stories from people either working at the dealers or buying cars from one of their brands. A friend of mine also used to work for the accounting firm that does their books and he said he heard from the account owner Rob Cochran is one of the most arrogant, condescending people in the city. Rumor has it he made unreasonable demands of the firm and they eventually dropped him.

1 Like

Yeah it’s them. I had to negotiate at a dealer in Akron and they wouldn’t even touch the deal so my friends drove there and got it.

2017 Volvo S90 T6 - seriously just unhackable in Texas.

2007 Lexus LS 460L (model with executive back seat recliner/fridge/table) - $2K downpayment at $2240 per month for 15/48 with a buyout of $40K LMAO

Needed a company car. Business partner made this deal when I was overseas. He was the reason for a dual-signatory clause on any company purchases. Such a great lesson that it’s now mandatory in any business I have partners with.

This definitely belongs to this thread, but I wouldn’t go that far as to say that S90 is un-hackable in TX. Will be higher payments comparing to others due to tax, but a decent deal still can be had, I think. It’s not like S90 is a vehicle of choice in TX or anywhere else.

i think he was being sarcastic about the S90 being unhackable, with a 63k msrp and monthly payments of $998.

I think Texas dealers are just resigned to converting all of their S90s to loaner cars and otherwise hoping some uninformed long time Volvo customer will walk in and think that a $12k discount is a steal, regardless of the fact that Volvo is supplying that money and that you can get $12k discounts on all sorts of cars.

There are certainly a lot of people out there who don’t know or care about monthly payments so long as they think they’re getting a big discount. But like @Ursus says, those people don’t seem to be hopping in S90s.

In 2008 I signed a lease that now I know was pretty bad but I didn’t know anything better at time.

Newly redesigned 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 for $425 sign and drive for 36/12. This is in CT so no full tax upfront. MSRP was somewhere in $32ish range. And I think residual was around $20ish. So I did pretty bad but past is past and anything close to leasehackr didn’t exist at the time. Live and learn. And to top is off at the end of the lease I was over by something like 15k miles so I ended up buying it out to avoid paying overage miles fee.
I liked the car a lot but financially made so many mistakes that it was close to a disaster in terms of money.

On the other hand that Accord was traded for a brand new 2012 Crosstour fully loaded which we purchased for $29k (all fees included) from $39k MSRP and my wife loves the car. We were single car household and lease would not be working out at the time.

Oh, well. Live and learn. Next lease would be a better one thanks to this forum trove of knowledge.

I’ll put my very first lease up for consideration.

1999 Honda Accord Coupe, MSRP was $21K give or take. Lease was $270/mo for 36 months with $3K down. I really wanted a 5 Spd and since there were few around, I was stuck with whatever crappy deal they gave me. Even though I didn’t know HOW bad it really was.

But in my sort of defense, I was a ) young and stupid and b) straight out of college and had pretty much no credit.

I got robbed but learned a lesson. Now I enjoy robbing car dealers.

1 Like

You need to put it perspective. $360/mo is not a huge payment, even on a $21k car, considering how leasing changed since 1999 (rates, incentives, internet, etc).