Wording Emails for the Deal? [How To Negotiate]

DO NOT COME IN! Dealers treat you like his bitch in their dealership and they know how to let you compromise. Only come in after getting a written agreement or quote.

I prefer being transparent upfront and let the dealer know you are leasing and what incentives you are qualified for. In that case it doesn’t matter the selling price you negotiate is pre or post incentives as long as you and the dealer both work on pre (or post).

1 Like

Pre and post incentives doesnt matter as long as you know what rebates/incentives you qualify for. If you know those numbers you can calculate yourself what a dealer is discounting on their end.

tell him, you don’t do a walk-in unless there is a contract waiting for you with the numbers you’re expecting to see. tell him you’d be highly motivated if he can agree to the numbers you’d mentioned. otherwise, politely say thank you and move on to the next dealer. 99.99999% he’ll come back to you.

1 Like

You are very wrong here. VW dealers advertise based on their own (VW) financing with a very high interest. But in return you get much bigger cash discount if you do finance through them. Nowhere close to their lease incentives.
@Nexo917 is right on how to proceed.

1 Like

When a deal is okay to good, how to even lower selling price? Is it a good strategy that throwing the ball them making offer and leave? Thanks

37 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

I usually do my research and put my numbers by crossing on a print of initial quote dealer sends and ask them if they do this they have my business. Usually response is with much better numbers. Just asking to lower without a target does not work.

My husband and I need a second car and are interested in leasing a Mazda CX-5, GTR. This forum (and Edmunds) have been very helpful and I now consider myself educated about what a “good” deal on this car would be.

I have called no less than six dealerships in my state (NJ) and almost all refuse to negotiate with me over the phone/email. I’ve opened up the conversation by giving them the stock number of the car I’m interested in, giving them the sales price I desire (before incentives/fees), and asking if they can meet it or come close to it. The sales people that have responded to me have quoted me crazy high numbers, I’m talking high $500s for this car. I’m not looking for a crazy good deal, my starting number is 10% off of the MSRP and with the MF/residual and no down payment, that should be a lease in the high $300’s.

I can’t help but be frustrated. I’m sure that if I asked my husband to call, he would get a better reception. Does anyone have any advice?

1 Like

If you’re so certain Mazda dealers are misogynistic, why not try that, so you can verify?

:bat:

1 Like

I don’t think the the dealers hate women, but in both my professional and personal experience, people typically respond more seriously to men than women.

Then you should get different friends and a new job.

5 Likes

If you email instead of call, they only know you’re a woman if you tell them.

2 Likes

Instead of a manufacturer being sexist is it possible that you dug to find research that supports a price that isn’t all too legit? KBB and Truecar show price ranges that the car has been purchased in recently however a lot of the really low-end prices are from sales where the dealership is stealing the trade-in.

Kudos to you for doing research and putting in the time however if you made an offer to 6 different places and they all said no you may be the common denominator.

3 Likes

Honestly we get like 10 “what do I do because I’m not getting good discounts like other people are” questions a week. That’s why your thread was merged into this one which discusses negotiating extensively. You being a woman likely has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If the dealers in your area aren’t negotiating and are staying firm at 4.5% off, either change up your negotiating style, cast a wider net, accept your best offer, hire a broker or move on. I don’t know what region you’re in but some are much more difficult than others.

3 Likes

There are folks who maintain the stance that some facet of their being is the whole reason that things large and small don’t go as they desire. It sometimes becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, and it sometimes fades away.

TBH, I’ve had just as many ignore me, refused to discuss numbers over email unless I came in, etc… and I’m male. They lose my business and I move on to someone else.

Nobody is entitled to a specific discount, period. It’s their job to sell the car for as much as possible, and your duty to find someone that will sell at a price you feel is fair. The more discount you ask, the more people will ignore you. You either cave, continue to look at other dealers further away, or look at something completely different.

This site can give some unrealistic expectations it’s easy peasy to just get x discount on a car. Truth is, it takes work, and is extremely rare for it to be handed to you on a silver platter.

6 Likes

This. I’m blacklisted at more dealers than I can count, but no one that I really care about. I’m always respectful, but very firm. If they don’t like it, I move on. Nothing personal.

3 Likes

Second time leasing a car and want to be more educated about the process. Can any experienced buyers help?? I went in recently to Audi. Dealer didn’t take me seriously and told me to “build a model and email me tonight, I’ll see what I can do.” basically to get me out the door. No response after that.

Can someone explain how to utilize the site to get a better deal or just some basic negotiating tactics? How has this platform helped others “hack” a better deal? Please explain!

Spend some time reading deals on comparable Audis here. Look at some of the brokers for comparison. You’re trying to work out what is a target pre-incentive/rebate dealer discount. Use edmunds to find the rv/mf/incentives for the vehicle you’re looking for in your zip code. Contact a dealer regarding a specific stock number vehicle they have and tell them what you’re looking to pay based on the info you got in your research.

The key, in my opinion, to getting a good deal is to be very well educated regarding every aspect of the deal.

Thanks…I guess my issue now is how to word negotiations. How do you start negotiating the MF (if that’s even a thing) I feel like a NY dealer would laugh if you even bring up the idea. They’re all on their high horse. Very foreign concept to me but have to do my research. Unfortunately it looks like the car I have my eye on doesn’t lease well.