Wise to spend $1500/month on a car given my situation?

I had an LC500 for awhile but it just felt too big for a “sports car”. It was a great car, just not for me.

Carmax 911 s. You can get a damn nice one for 80-90k buy the warranty so you avoid the big pitfalls and sell in 5 years and if you lose more than $30k (warranty cost plus depreciation) or $500 a month I’ll be shocked.

Yea definitely more of a grand tourer than a sports car. I see it as more of an SL type of car than 911. But likely somewhere in between.

Pharm degree is 6-8 years actually. Need a doctorate these days. Accelerated programs can be done in 6 but most take longer.

3 Likes

I thought about that actually, appreciate the correction. I did my undergrad in Canada, my bad, in Ontario you used to be able to become a pharmacist with enough dispensing hours after undergraduate.

1 Like

Been to cartagena, yes the dollar goes far and beautiful city. Wouldn’t want to be anywhere near there during rona. Some of the strictest restrictions out there and they’re protesting tax increases during covid now. I do admire their balls to stand up against govt though

1 Like

Yeah I was more speaking grand scheme, I don’t think anywhere is easy/fun to travel to right now, it’s all subjective…and if a place is, it’s probably swamped with tourist cough Tulum.

I was just picking an arbitrary gorgeous location that can turn $1500 into a billionaire boys club bday bash on a yacht… but alas this thread has turned into 50 opinions about what they would do with $1500 and the OP is still too busy counting lorazepam and lisinopril to answer anyone so we can have more fun memes 🥲.

3 Likes

If you ever make it back, roof top cocktails at the movich hotel for sunset is amazing!

I was actually there in 2018 today, just popped up on my Facebook. Tayrona national park is a great day trip from Cartagena also

1 Like

I would think long and hard about this… You asked whether it’s a good idea – I would say, no.

$1,500/mo is $54,000.00 over a 3 year lease pissed away in the wind. I can definitely empathize with you having worked hard and wanting to reward yourself. I think you could easily find a viable option at half that monthly expense in the current low rate environment (perhaps purchased slightly used) to fulfill that want/need and likely come out ahead after 3 years (a 911 is the usual suspect).

Time is on your side to invest your money. If you truly are maxing out your 401K (what, $19K/yr now is the limit) and Roth, open another taxable brokerage account and shovel the excess in there. Your 45 year old self will thank you.

3 Likes

Haha luckily not much counting going on in the hospital. I mean right now is a terrible time to lease or buy judging what I’ve seen on the forum. Maybe buy a new cheap car then wait a couple years for the market to settle and buy that fun toy?

1 Like

Assuming your desire to splurge on a $1500 lease has some aspect of showing off, the other option is to get luxury watch(es). Many will never depreciate and some will actually appreciate in value. I would spend $500-700 on a car and the rest would buy you a couple of Rolex or one Patek.

You can’t show off a watch…by gunning it at a traffic light :racing_car:

1 Like

You could have $100k on your wrist and I wouldn’t have a damn clue, most probably would not. Roll up in a r8 and people will notice (if that’s your thing). Hell every time a c8 goes by wife is like what is that, she thinks it an Italian supercar. Actually not a bad suggestion either for op.

key is to wear a watch where only the people you want to know what it is, actually know what it is.

so basically, cross out anything from a rap lyric and maybe put VC, FP Journe, A Lange or Breguet on that list.

5 Likes

When I pause to be entirely honest with myself, my main regret from my 20s is not being more promiscuous.

With that in mind…

Depending on what your life plans are, how likely is it in 10 or 15 years that you’ll look back at this time with regret if you don’t splurge on something fun?

1 Like

Did we really need to bring this useless thread back to life?

1 Like

Had you spent 1500 a month on a car back then, that problem would have been solved.

4 Likes

Thank you for asking. Yes. Check your PMs.

1 Like

This needs to be a thread on its own! lol

2 Likes

I’d ask this same question on Bogleheads. With this forum being geared towards a bias on car fanatics, may get totally different opinions there :slight_smile: