Will this loaner approach work?

No need to start this soon. If I were in your shoes, I would monitor the market and the “Share Deals & Tips” section for the next few months. When you are 2 months away from your lease ending, you could start reaching out to dealers and look up broker deals in the “Marketplace”.

Short answer is no. Dealers want to sell you a car today; not in 6 months. You will be wasting both of your time.

What make and model are you looking at?

1 Like

Makes sense, thank you.

Tentatively a 3-row BMW X5, but open to other equivalent models.

They wont negotiate a future loaner with you.

Also, they can sell loaners at sticker in this environment.

Lastly…no dealers stock a 3row X5, especially one in loaner fleet. That would make no sense.Custom order only, if you can even still get one with the X7 out now.

I assume there are not many X7 loaners out there either, right?

I would be shocked if someone had a 3rd row X5 in the loaner fleet and if they did, I would try putting my name on it sooner rather than later. But be prepared to potentially leave money on the table. They are probably going to make you commit to the market value today.

I think I’ve only seen one X7 loaner in the marketplace in the last couple of months, and it was a higher MSRP one ($90k?). Probably a management or executive demo. In any case, loaner or not, pricing won’t be that much different from a new unit so you’re better off ordering one

Not sure what your budget is, but an X5 or X7 is not going to be cheap. Btw, if you are not already a Penfed member, sign up for a membership. There is a thread on this forum on how to do that. After being a member for 60 days, you will be able to generate a $500 certificate for an additional discount towards a BMW lease.

Yeah, might have to do that or CCA, I already have an OL code, Employer Discount (though those may not be as good) and loyalty.

I am sure you are aware that CCA is a post-sale rebate.

Make sure you check the expiration date, since it might not be valid in 6 months.

At X5/X7 price range, may be consider a Tesla Model X/Y?

My BMW i3 lease is up in March 2022 and I just placed an order for a Model Y w 3rd row yesterday for April 2022 delivery. I plan to extend my BMW lease for two months and cross my fingers that Tesla will deliver on time.

Agree with what was said above. I don’t think any dealer will be interested in selling you a loaner 5/6 months ahead. Plus, you won’t know exactly how much miles will be put on those loaners so making it more tricky to negotiate even if you find a dealer who is willing to talk.

With a model Y won’t it be much more on a lease? What did you end up paying to lease?

I plan to finance it because 1) Tesla lease cost is too high in general 2) Tesla lease programs won’t allow you to buy out the car at the end of the lease. This means you can’t take advantage if your Tesla’s market value is higher than the RV. Given how well Model 3 maintains it values in the past few years, I believe (or hope) Model Y will holds its value nicely three years from now…

Looking at that one now too, might be a good option, thank you for the tip.

Question about Penfed, as I already have an employer discount for BMW, is Penfed any different or is that part of the same program? Can those stack?

Think of it as an additional incentive. It has nothing to do with employee pricing.

Awesome, thank you!

Be cautious that the 3rd row in Model Y are really designed to sit children. Most adults below 6ft will fit into the 3rd row but it’s very uncomfortable.

It seems the earliest delivery is July, 2022 if you order one now. If interested, you could follow this thread to snatch one sooner.

1 Like

Kids is who I need to haul around, so that’s fine. Will review the thread.

Oops, I meant the earliest delivery for Model X is Jul. 2022. If you order Model Y w 7 seat, the earliest delivery is April 2022.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.