Why would a dealer claim I dropped my leased vehicle off one month BEFORE I actually physically did?

I’m in SoCal and returned my Chevy lease on 4/30/2021. I have actual dated photos on the dealer lot returning it, as well as the independent inspection report at my place on a date later than what the dealership claims I turned it back in on. Why would I now receive a letter form GM Financial claiming I dropped it off a month EARLIER (3/30/2021) than I physically did? Does the dealership get something in return for this? Does it charge me extra? What gives?

Did you try asking GM? May be a typo, for example.

1 Like

Yea, I have no idea what the dealer would stand to gain, so most likely just some kind of clerical error or typo, etc., as Ursus mentioned above.

What did GM say when you told them the date on their letter was wrong?

1 Like

What is GM saying or are they requesting anything from you at this point?

You made all of your obligated payments, had the inspection and returned the car. Pay the disposition fee and have the account closed. What details are we missing here?

Again, do they want anything from you at this point? If not, prob just a clerical error. Most of the guys doing the grounding paperwork at dealerships are non salesmen and are just trying to take in the cars, fill out the slips quickly and slap that yellow sticker on the windshield and move the cars out in the “yard” .

1 Like

Did it cost you any money?

1 Like

Since it’s just one month from your drop off date, just look out for any bills or obligations.m in the future.

Even though it could be clerical, I won’t be surprised if there is some type of gain. I wont put anything past dealerships.

2 Likes

GM Financial has said today that I owe nothing, so it all seems free and clear. I saved all conversation with them and asked them to make a note on my account of our conversation.

Yeah, must’ve been a clerical error in the end. Was just something odd I didn’t want to bite me in the end. If anything changes I’ll update, but all seems good now.

Thanks for chiming in, everyone!

2 Likes

Sounds like whoever entered the return date just put “3” instead of “4” by mistake. It would be more concerning if they showed you dropped the car off one month after you actually did. I don’t see how showing you dropped the car off one month before you actually did would harm you in any way. From your latest post it sounds like you’re good to go - glad it worked out!

1 Like

If I were you, I would check back again in a day with a different service rep to double check this. Also, ask them to send you an overnight letter or some kind of documentation that clears up the previous confusion. Just to cover yourself.

2 Likes

I guess the bigger question is did you check if you had equity before paying a disposition fee to turn your car in? As others have said probably a typo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.