Why won’t dealers lease to out of state residents?

Very few dealers here in Vegas , why some dealers in so-cal won’t lease to nv residents .

I’ve seen members from NV post they’ve done leases out of Cali. What brand are you trying to lease?

What is your age, how is your credit score and how long have you had residency? That may be your issue.

I have contacted Volvo and Infiniti dealers . Both of the salesman straight up told me they can sell me a vehicle but won’t lease bc I’m NV resident. Didn’t even bother to ask what car I wanted

There is additional work required to do an out of state DMV deal, both for registration and for sales tax. If there’s issues or anything, especially if any related to getting the deal funded, that may cost them. Many dealers just don’t want to take on the risk or hassle. Some of the banks they work with may only work in particular states. Every state has different laws and some dealers and/or their lawyers may only be set up to navigate their home state. There may even be agreements with the OEM not to operate out of state for some nameplates. All issues that may be more present for finance/lease deals vs. a cash deal. Hard to say what exactly is the reason, but it’s not all that uncommon.

I would be very surprised if there were dealers in CA that did not do NV leases. Not all dealers will do them, for sure, but some will. Got to look at the ones on the CA/NV line. Here in MA, people routinely buy/lease from NH.

If the dealer is in California I’ve heard from dealers here in the past that California DMV requires registration and there’s some issue with temp tags and out of state customers. I recall a member here having to essentially pay registration fees twice for a Gladiator they got out of state in California.

1 Like

Depending on the car, some dealer agreements won’t allow them to sell beyond a certain distance. For some if the customer is physically present they can get away with it. AFAIK Volvo corporate doesn’t constrain that way, but I have been given both excuses by various Volvo dealers (the last 2020 V60 P* was at a midwest dealer that would only sell to someone who took delivery in person), and just moved on to another.

Some dealers know they make their money on service and want to focus on local customers.

1 Like

It’s pretty simple- the headaches with all different state rules re: taxes, registration, etc and lack of profitability. And transportation headaches- if purchaser doesn’t take delivery in person- they could decline accepting the vehicle at destination leading to more headaches.

Unless you’re doing a deal on a high margin car- RS6, R8, Lambo, etc- it doesn’t make sense for a CA dealer to do out of state deals.

Would you want to deal with 49 other state DMVs for a “loser” deal?

You just need to keep calling around. Some dealers will do out-of-state deals, but you have to register the vehicle yourself. Some others will handle everything.

1 Like

Makes sense guys … it just sucks our dealers here have no competitions . Called a dealer in AZ and got a no

While the business office and dmv clerks don’t really like out of state leases, we still do them. Basically we set up the sales tax in the lease and the client is responsible for registering the vehicle with your local DMV. If you come pick up here we’ll provide a one-way trip permit which is good for a week or two but if you have the car shipped to you there’s no temp tags.

You open to a BMW? If so, PM or email me. :+1:

2 Likes

Because it’s an hassle

1 Like

I remember an LH member on here being super happy w his NV delivery of an m340 from you!

“Wolf” was part of his handle. Super nice guy!

1 Like

The proof is in the review :wink:

2 Likes

I’m based out of Vegas and last week leased 2021 Audi Q7 from dealer in Cali. They gave me one way pass to drive it back to Vegas.

I was also in talks with Infiniti dealers in Cali and Arizona but couldn’t agree on the numbers, so there are dealers, you’ll just have to call to find the ones that are willing to work with you.

1 Like