Why don't dealers pass on Federal Rebate savings in lease?

For now the IRS has agreed to it on Sales from Jan 1 thru date of new guidance issued, or New legislation passed Amending the IRA of $45W or the IRA, which so far isn’t going to happen since we have no Speaker in the House.

Also though to confuse things for Captives is in that Future guidance is the Potential that the Captive may have to pay back (the IRS recovers) some of that credit when the asset ceases to be a business asset for them, i.e when sold, either to the consumer or the open market after 3yr lease.
So they may or we shouldn’t expect them to pass the entire credit to us. They also need some of that profit to run their business too. But if they pass on 100% of it to consumers count it as a win!

Yes, I am well versed on 45w as it dramatically affects my company’s strategy to offer leases on these vehicles.

Looking deeper into this, it will take some time before all OEMs figure out their procedure to comply with the IRS to get their PHEVs and EVs included in the official list.

This website will be updated regularly as more and more OEMs qualify their models:

2 Likes

You’re correct. I Googled the data and worldwide new car sales are 68M, not US new car sales.

1 Like

yes it appears it will.

Have you found that Ally has been doing PHEV leases in 2022? 2023? and are they passing thru some of the credits thru leases?

I posted above in post #41 the current Ally rebate amounts that they have posted so far this month. Last year they did $7500 on the 4xe as well as some random amounts below that on the Prius Prime and Rav4 Prime.

Is there any insight yet as to whether GM will share some or all of the $7500 on a Chevy Bolt EV/EUV lease?

Super helpful RVguy. I guess to find out which dealers work with Ally- do I have to call a few dealers and ask if they work with Ally? I am thinking about the rav4 prime or ford escape phev- but not sure how to start. Also, is it too simplistic to think that that on a 36 month lease for those that offer $7,500 - lease payment would go down by roughly $208/month (7500/36).

If it’s taxable its more like 185

All else being equal, yes. But MF can up and RV down, etc.

If they will do it we will have crazy $150/m lease.

That’s what I’m hoping. I had a $142/mo Volt lease with zero down many moons ago when they shared the original $7500 tax credit.

I’m also super interested in this answer. Has anyone gotten any insight into this? I believe Chevy goes through Ally bank right? And Ally bank has been shown to pass through savings?

Ally doesnt pass along the chevy 7500 rebate

Please clarify: When posters say RV is 50% is that 50% of MSRP, selling price, or selling price less the incentive of up to $7500 of tax credit to the lessor? One dealler tells me they use MSRP in computing RV no matter what the selling price or incentives are.

This is a very basic question. Please read the “Leasing 101” and “How to calculate lease payment” articles to have a better understanding of leases. It will greatly help you get a better lease deal.

That sounds right. Of course if you are buying Toyota in Florida, all bets are off

As they should.

Would it make sense 3 years from now that two identical vehicles would have a different residual value to the bank based on how well the original owner negotiated years prior?