Why do dealers waste our time...and theirs too?

They do this for a few reasons:

1. its something they can show the managers to justify doing an agressive deal

2. Buyers are liars. When a deal is much lower than what they think the market is they want something to prove the price is real

6 Likes

That looks to me like he’s not ready to buy. You could argue he’s in the market and casually looking, so now the salesman has a lead. That said, he still wasn’t pulling out the checkbook tonight in all likelihood.

3 Likes

I’m in my pjs and slippers, unshowered and unshaven at 8:00 AM…what do you suggest I do with myself?

Looking for funniest response!

1 Like

Cause the dealer and franchise system is a relic from the rotary phone and Sears catalog era. More often than not a new to the dealership, stressed out sales guy sitting around and waiting for an uninformed and impulse driven customer that admits they aren’t good with numbers to show up on the lot.

I do wonder what % of new dealership car deals are done via internet, brokers or 3rd parties.

2 Likes

Customers waste dealerships’ time via internet so we return the favor in person.

17 Likes

As I said above, I got a flat and went to the dealership to get it replaced. And my lease is coming due in 35 days…which certainly puts me in the market…especially as many dealers will “eat” the last payment…though it probably comes out of my pocket.

I was sitting in a showroom car waiting for my tire to get replaced…a salesperson came over, and started chatting…I explained my situation and also how I wasn’t thrilled with the 2020 Outback lease pricing…told him my offer which I was not thrilled about. FWIW, I also told him I had leased 4 cars from that dealer’s owner (though not that dealer) so he could have pulled up my info. After telling him all of this…basically, unless the price is in the low 400s tops, I’m not interested, he wants to go for a test drive. And then do an office sit down. All this time, I’m telling him that I have no interest in leasing an Outback for $500 month…and he comes back at $548! For a cheaper car.

To top it off, he calls me today. I tell him that the MF was marked up to .0012 from .0007, and the car discount was awful. He talks to his manager, calls me back, and says the MF was marked up because I wouldn’t do a credit report and they price the MF for “average” credit. That’s a good one! Quick thinking there partner.

3 Likes

This clearly shows that you don’t know much about leasing. How does a deal from 3 years ago relate to one today?

7 Likes

Agree…only reason I mention my current lease is A. The salespeople ALWAYS ask what you’re currently paying and B. I explicitly tell the dealers the reason I bought this car (2017 Subaru Outback Ltd) is because it was a terrific lease at the time. I would not have leased the car for $500, and I tell them that.

In fact, the 2017 Subaru Outback is the least favorite car my wife and I have ever leased. Aside from being safe, practical, reliable (no repairs in 35K miles save a couple tires), it brings zero joy. Slow, handles poorly, not that comfortable and pretty darn ugly…especially in what my mother likes to call “Vomit Green”!

And I tell the Subaru salespeople this!

But I adore my 2019 Forester…go figure :wink:

2 Likes

Its irrelevant. But a good salesperson would have said, “sure let me look at it…” to disprove all these other reasons everyone is saying about why a dealer shouldn’t believe a customer when he comes in saying he doesnt pay MSRP for cars.

Sales person - “ahh I see your selling price was 13% off back then, well we don’t have the mark up like we did 3 years ago”

Sales person - “oh nice you had 1200034030$$$$ dollars in incentives. We only have half that now. But Thanks for letting me see this. It helps me take you out of the, stupid lying customer bucket.”

Thanks for your concern though.

Also, I wouldn’t say it clearly shows anything about my knowledge of leases. If anything it shows my understanding on how to make a deal without going in blind saying “GIVE ME YOUR BEST DEAL FELLA, but before you do please take advantage of me.”

2 Likes

Contract doesn’t list MSRP, so how can a salesperson see what discount you got?

6 Likes

Good point… I guess supporting documentation aka a window sticker would have to come into play at that point. Regardless it goes to my point. The reason I offered my lease agreement was because the salesmen tried to tell me that BMW doesn’t discount cars that much. Which is a lie. A blatant lie.

I’m literally going to the dealer tomorrow to get my flat mounted and balanced…

Another one that made me laugh, when I called upt he service department to get my appointment they said “It’s our policy that we don’t mount and balance tires that were not purchased from us”

Once I told them I was getting a brake flush also they walked their statement back. I strongly dislike car dealerships.

My favorite line is “We are a for-profit business” — Like i didn’t know that already.

I get it, I really do and to be honest I’d rather hear that off the bat than have my time wasted with an uncompetitive offer.

3 Likes

Donate blood.

Donate some blood.

3 Likes

Dealers always tell me they are losing money on the deal.

1 Like

Right!

Just be thankful you have the insight to protect yourself against these tactics.

Trying to maximize profit is not unique to car dealerships lol

(Agreeing with what you’re saying. Not directing this to you)

2 Likes

You were there for a flat repair. How was your time wasted? It was either talk to the dealer to “kill time” in your term, or stare at the wall drinking 3 hour old coffee waiting for your repair.

Instead of dwelling on it, move on. What’s the point of whining about it on the internet to a bunch of unknowns that can’t fix the problem. Go somewhere else. You can’t control how the dealership operates or how much they want to profit, so don’t try. Email others in your bunny slippers and see who is competitive.

BTW…the dealer giving you a crazy high number is no different than a customer giving
a laughably low one. Until (and if) the dealership model is changed to a 1 price for all model, this will continue.

7 Likes

Why on earth would you go to a dealer for a tire? That’s pretty much the last place I’d go in less you had a warranty with them.

6 Likes

To kill time and waste the poor salesman’s time…of course

5 Likes

Some dealers are surprisingly competitive on tires…

2 Likes