Why arent leases cheaper now?

That’s a lot of blessings.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t pay a 30K premium on a house just like I wouldn’t pay a 30K premium on a car.

4 Likes

Well. I dont know if a house is a good comparison. Almost no 2 houses are exactly the same. Having a house that checks all of your boxes (good neighborhood, good schools, no repair needed) is worth to many to pay an extra 30k and many do. Youre right thought, 30k on a mass produced Toyota is a joke though and many wont pay that.

1 Like

There is certainly things that can make a home worth a premium over another like a fresh roof, foundation, quality renovation etc.

I guess I should clarify that I meant that 30K over listing price on a home is a no go for me.

Stay in TX. Cali is insane, as 30K premium is literally nothing here. This is Belvedere Island (where I grew up) and the MEDIAN house price is 4.4 million. Want to live on an island?

1 Like

Your fleeing neighbors have brought that market dynamic to us unfortunately.

I surmise the realtors around here are more like auctioneers…happy to gin up their client’s ‘advantage’. I wouldn’t even know how to approach a market like that.

edit: oh yeah, I wouldn’t! lol

I imagine this will work only as long as they’re selling cars. Once the demand destruction starts they will change their tune. Now- when that will happen is the million dollar question.

As they say “the fix for high prices is high prices”

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve looked recently, but my search for “< $1M with price reductions” in many parts of SoCal has exploded in the last 10 days. Like used cars, price levels appear to have hit a ceiling and bounced for the first time in probably 8 years. It used to just catch $1/$1000 reductions, lots of $10/$25k/$50k drops and still sitting. Probably overpriced to start, but buyers aren’t biting.

The closest comparable for me was when I was trying to sell my DC house in Spring 2013 and missed the hot market by 3 weeks, ended up renting it for 3 years.

Lots of variables in play in both over-heated markets

:dart:

2 Likes

Kind of my thinking as well. While buying out one’s lease may make financial sense from the point of view of cost, I would not be surprised that once the car market tanks (of course a prediction but my feeling is its coming), people who bought out their leases will be under water if they try to sell it later (as the argument goes). Plus, you’ll have an older vehicle with older tech and out of warranty.

4 Likes

I think that’s where hidden inflation will rear it’s ugly head. Values will hold on paper but the fiat will buy much less in the future.

If you can make a better return rate on the money, borrow someone else’s

And they still have the nerve to put a pinstripe on.

Well, I’m sure Mercedes still cares about a good number of cars (C- and E-Class aren’t going anywhere, and there will likely be SOME sort of entry level car, but not both an A- and a CLA), but I think the whole “best selling luxury make in the US” isn’t going to be the goal that it used to be.

I imagine they’re going to try to be a bit like Porsche (super expensive variations on their high end cars to bring in the $$$).

I personally don’t think the approach will work that well, outside of G-Class variations. But we’ll see.

The question was not answered before :slight_smile:

The Tesla car sales model will happen in 3-5 years… buy buy sales rep. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Huh? 20char

1 Like

I think he meant bye bye… it seems like the writing is on the wall: in an era (recession or worse) of belt-tightening, the value extractors will be excised by the value creators (much less meat on the bone).

1 Like

damm spell check… your right bye bye lol

1 Like

For the giggles, I quoted vroom last month for my v90. $6k equity. Quoted them today, -$5k equity.

I wonder if this will be a broader trend with RV’s to make leasing even worse.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.