Why are lease rates so drastically different in Virginia?

I keep seeing all these deals, or these broker spreadsheets however the rates are never close to those numbers because I live in Virginia. Why is it that jurastic? How can a 205 payment shoot up to 300 etc.

Tax on full price of the car I believe. Not just the lease payment.

Yup. Taxed on the full sale price of vehicle. It’s 4.15% for me at least

So for instance a 40k car it’s taxed 1660 over a 24 month lease that’s 70 bucks more a month. Is that right?

The selling price is taxed, not MSRP. But you got the idea. TX and MD are even worse.

4 Likes

VA tax is actually not all that higher than NY tax…

Some of the difference is negotiation / competitiveness of the market.
But you also need to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

And let us not forget VA has property taxes on its vehicles on top of 4.15% sales tax…for eg I ended up paying 5k$ ish prop tax on my s4 over 3 year lease

2 Likes

Taxes yes but also probably Acquisition and MF mark up. Dealer fee. Anyway, that’s the reason why payments are so high in Florida. I have been forced to work with out-of-state dealerships.

Dealer fee is the biggest impediment in Fla. those other items can happen anywhere. Nobody has the high doc fee Fla has though.

$799 in VA is close enough

2 Likes

Texas is 6.25%, so be grateful!

Or you can just read that I said the same a few posts up :slight_smile:
(you replied to my post)

1 Like

hmm. 4% tax on a whole 40k car in VA, vs 9% tax (in CA) for say 50% depreciation on a 40K car… I wonder what is worse…

Grrrrrrrrr!!!

I have noticed some other states, that are not limited by law, have started to follow suit with Florida ($799+… :weary:)

My point is, be grateful! lol
Thanks, brother!

In Texas, acquisition is around $695 and MF is not that highly marked.

I’m not grateful, but know very well that VA is not the worst case scenario on sales tax (well, if you don’t consider property tax) :slightly_smiling_face:

If you live in VA its much better to assume someone else’s lease. not a guarantee but might be able to “avoid” paying sales tax. I have several data points (~10+ transactions) and no sales tax was assessed. We are all stuck with the personal property tax BS in VA. In a nutshell, VA is one of the more expensive states to lease in. FL rocks. My parents are paying 6.5% tax on the monthly payment and there is no personal property tax.

Yup. FL is lease friendly big time (but the dealers generally stink) :slight_smile: So, a transfer into FL (or purchase from elsewhere) sometimes makes a lot of sense.

Registration is also low here as well (except for trucks…even Tacos get whacked something like $225). Passenger car registration is usually <$100.

Dealer fee in Maryland is $299. In my experience, no MF or Acquisition mark up.

In your experience. They are well within their rights to mark those up however, provided the captive allows it

1 Like