Why are dealers refusing to give me a quote in writing?

Where are you located?

So that you will not send the quote to another dealer and ask them to beat it.

They gave you a decent price but they are slimy because they won’t give you information in writing that could result in them losing business?

The capped doc fee in Pennsylvania is probably going to make up for any additional savings from out of state unless you were going to New York. Where did you go? Piazza? Fred Beans? They seem to be pretty aggressive on those at the moment.

I was referring to the dealers who don’t discuss price at all unless you test drive. This is a slimy tactic. I do also think it’s shady to not even give a quote so I could see the breakdown before I make a decision. You must work for a dealership lol.

On the same topic, is there something can be done when they give a quote on email confirmed and then dealership says no we cant honor that quote, that’s from our internet department and they are not here

I think by giving the person numbers, they are being transparent. A former salesperson myself, I can spend 3 or 4 hours with someone (my job), test drive, appraise their car, run credit, do numbers and then they walk in to the second dealership and just slam my numbers down and say “beat this” and the other dealer beats it by $50 is 110% infuriating.

1 Like

So if someone walks into your office and says, “can you beat this offer”? You say no?

I’m in automotive supplier sales and I’ve said no many times :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If the other dealer is able to beat it by $50 a month, it sounds like you’re not offering a competitive deal.

If we’re talking $50 total lease cost, yes, that’s silly.

1 Like

I didn’t say a month.

Heck no, I take it. But it’s still crappy because I know a guy somewhere did what he was suppose to do and this is the kind of loyalty people have. A salesperson can do everything right and it doesn’t result in a sale. But that’s the job. I’ve been on both sides of it.

I think my username makes it pretty obvious I work for a dealership. A business can operate however they want - just like you are welcome to shop however you want. Telling someone ‘no’ isn’t slimy, shady, or a tactic though.

1 Like

But this is LH. If a dealer doesn’t immediately give you a written document for 20% off IT IS FRAUD

2 Likes

All I know is my Dad could beat up like 80% of everyone’s Dads here.

Guys and Gals I lied. My dad has some serious back issues.

1 Like

Hopefully no hackr on here actually takes such deal over the original. I know i was offered this $100 better deal and gladly turned it down as i respect an honest day work that some of these salesman put in.

Agreed. I wouldn’t go elsewhere over $100 with someone I had rapport with.

Sounds like you just needed to qualify your clients better. Some will tell you 100% what they’re after In a car and there’s no need to spend any more time than it takes to get a quote that doesn’t insult anyone’s intelligence.

That’s a bs response. I need to qualify my clients better? Newsflash, clients lie more than people in the car business. That’s the first thing my manager told me, buyers are liars. I no longer sell, but during the time I did it, I never knowingly lied. But every single day I talked to people they’d lie. As a broker, you should know that too. But thanks so much for the unworthy advice.

2 Likes

I did say some which is a rare occurrence. Ultimately though you take the bad (and there’s plenty of it) with the good and learn from it as you go.