Who's had a Jeep qualify under lemon law

I am in CA and I am leasing a '22 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe base. (CCAP)

On the drive home from the dealer, oil was leaking. First visit, replaced drain plug, didn’t fix. Second visit, ran some UV dye through it, couldn’t isolate the leak which was around the turbo. Third visit, ripped off the turbo and replaced the turbo oil intake which was leaking.

My lemon law lawyer said we have a really good case as-is. Fortunately, as weird as that sounds, my JGC is part of the steering shaft recall. This will be my 4th visit for a REPAIR in the first 6 months.

My co-worker has a '22 JK and CCAP just agreed to buy back her Jeep. She will receive every dollar back less 60 cents per mile, financed not leased. (she had it in the shop a total of 29 days for various issues with power steering, stalling etc)

I am curious what others have experienced when dealing with Jeep lawyers for buy-back or cash-to-keep?

I helped my parents out with a chrysler lemon buyback a few years back.

Don’t they all qualify as lemons? :eyes:

13 Likes

Is your leak fixed now? If so, they fixed it on 3rd try. Each state is a little different, but, in mine, they have 3 chances to correct it. And this is per problem, so the steering rack is a separate issue and its own set if repair attempts.

It is fixed now, yes, so that’s good. In CA my understanding is four visits for non maintenance is pretty good case for lemon law. In my case it will have been four visits in 7 months. It will have been in the shop for 16 days already plus how ever long they need it for the steering shaft (hopefully it’s just a visual inspection and no repair needed)

It will be interesting to see if an inspection as part of a recall actually counts towards the times in service forca repair. Otherwise, youre at 3 trips and no where near the 30 days inservice threshold. I suspect your case right now is very, very marginal and jeep wont play nicely. Your lemon attorney would know best though and they only get paid from the manufacturer if you come out successful, so theyre not motivated to pursue marginal.

1 Like

The lemon law attorney rates the likelihood of settlement as A-B-C, my case being an ‘A’ likelihood of getting a cash offer. She said mostly because the issue happened on day one/delivery and it was out of service 16 of the first 30 days. Also, she said the recall being a serious safety issue will be a factor in the settlement. If it was something simple I get it, but a steering shaft is a major safety problem. (same with oil leaking on my drive home forcing me to stop twice for oil and risking breaking down on my 500 mile trip home)

If it works, great. I have definitely seen people report issues with getting jeep to agree to buybacks when you dont yet meet state lemon requirements though.

The lawyer is the expert here though.

1 Like