Which soccer team do you support?

I mean this is just what Qatar needed to be a worldwide vacation destination. I’ve already booked my flights and can’t wait to sip mai tais on their beautiful beaches (72 virgin mai tais to be exact). Just have to find appropriate bathing suits for the wife to wear.

They have.

And they check all the boxes, more so than other co-hosts like Canada and Mexico. They have successfully cohosted World Cups for other sports like cricket multiple times.

The broader point is that USA 1994 and South Africa 2010 proved the game can be expanded globally. To new places with passionate local fandoms, and not to promises of fancy new stadiums. (USA 1994 was played in crumbling ancient stadia, many of which don’t even exist any more). So instead of regurgitating places like France and Germany again, somewhere on the rotation there needs to be places for Central America and northern or western africa and Asia ex Japan.

Was wrt Qatar. They’ve qualified for a World Cup before? I’m saying US is fine. Doesn’t need to be a powerhouse but should’ve at least played in the World Cup before

NZ have qualified twice for a WC before, most recently in 2010 where they exited at the group stage with 3 points. So in terms of the quality of their team they have just as much right to cohost as, say, Canada does.

Personally I’m not in favor of gatekeepers holding the privilege of hosting limited to teams that are “good enough”… the WC is for the fans and not to be judged on the national teams.

Literally no one is saying ‘22 WC is a model that should be replicated. There is no local fan base that could hold a candle to even, say, Thailand or tiny Central American countries.

nor did SA…

Qatar did win the 2019 Asia cup beating Japan though… they didn’t have much when they were awarded the WC but improved later…

Fans are going into their country they are not going to change their religion just for fans the Muslim religion is basically the only religion that’s left in my opinion. It’s devastating that workers die but from what I see with the western media when it’s a Middle East country news channel start bashing them but no one really bring up how American companies are making their product in cheap labor countries for instance Apple products I’m pretty sure many of us still support Apple. Just by looking at videos about Qatar it’s amazing how beautiful the world is outside the USA. The USA is basically hosting the World Cup in 2026 but some may say they don’t feel safe. Every country have their pros and cons.

Everyone is going to argue their country is the safest etc etc…i’m sure certain populations feels safer in different countries (LGBTQ+, Jewish folks, etc etc)

2 Likes

Stadium 974 will be dismantled after todays Brazil vs S.Korea match…

Something is getting dismantled in this game for sure

3 Likes

I mean my friend if you find labor camps in the US or any other country outside of certain parts of world please speak up. The sale of alcohol was banned two days before the World Cup in another corrupt move by FIFA and Qatar. Take all the advertising money and then screw them over in the name of religion.
You don’t have to defend Muslim countries to me I know they’re good people all over the world, just not heading up FIFA or Qatar.

2 Likes

When I thought getting a new car every 2 years was crazy

1 Like

Best game of the entire cup, so far, is on right now imo. Amazing defense.

4 Likes

Morocco earned the win today against Spain.

4 Likes

Man o man…what a game…

1 Like

Nah. The goalie sent Spain home.

3 Likes

sometimes in life you can do all the prep you want and still things don’t go your way.

Penalties are about goalies, more than anything. The ones that wait save more. Ziyech shot in the middle, easily savable (probably with legs while falling down), if goalie waits. Hakimi’s Panenka also.