Which premium brands have relatively better deals now? (Lease or finance)

So you do have a budget.

1 Like

This was already answered.

1 Like

What I’m getting from this is:

• we keep our cars a long time and want something with a low-ish TCO (not an out of warranty European name, great to lease but not the best to own)
  • we also don’t want a basic rental car, something nice-ish (on the frugal end of luxurious)
  • you are the decision maker/influencer, so we’re talking to the right person

Makes sense to me that Max would throw out the MDX and RX (slightly more plentiful right now, though not abundant). Something with a longer warranty like Genesis GVx0 (mentioned) at MSRP wouldn’t be bad to look at, but still new/in short supply. I think that’s a good start to get a sense of what you like/don’t like.

Do you always test drive together or do you go without him?

3 Likes

Summed beautifully, thanks! I prefer making economical choices, but don’t want basic rental; frugal end of luxurious exactly reflects my mindset! not too stingy on the trims though although I am not picky (it’s not like I want a specific audio system or special colors). We don’t test drive together. I just called the nearest Mercedez and they don’t even have any GLE in stock at the moment…
if I can ask another question, what’s your take on BMW plug-in hybrids? A friend tells me no automaker other than Toyota(&Lexus) has a reliable hybrid technology.

2 Likes

BMW makes a good plug in hybrid IME, however the X5 45e is in fairly short supply and pretty much order only.

530e can be pretty spiffy if equipped right.

1 Like

Says MDX and RX a should be at the top of the list. I’m asking why?

I drove the X5e at the CA Experience Center last month, mostly off-road. A very refined and capable machine, but I would not own one without an extended warranty. And as @IAC mentioned they are in short supply (most PHEV SUVs are). My lease is up this year, and I’ll most likely end up in a PHEV, but probably not an X5e given the price point and my personal needs.

1 Like

Nothing is leasing well right now. So, for starters, leasing is out of the question and it boils down to purchasing via some combination of cash and financing.

Two big considerations:

1. You get a heck of a lot more for the same money in terms of features and options … and material quality (the upholstery in a $62k GLE for example :-1:t4:)

2. Your biggest component of TCO (total cost of ownership) is depreciation. Without a doubt the RX and based on prior history also safe to assume the MDX will beat the X5, Q7 and GLE in value retention

2 Likes

Tesla Model Y ?

Just wondering if have you made progress toward your decision. Lots of good information was shared here on this thread. Most of us are or will be in the same position if not now, at some point. Thanks to all of the great LH forum for sharing their knowledge, serving as resources and providing guidance.

1 Like

Yes, completely agree on test driving alone. No one comes with me, for one car I had a friend drop me off to pick it up, husband was busy and not interested, at this point he does not even get to pick the color! Although there is a perception among car dealers that when a couple comes in they have both decision makers so the deal will get done that day or not at all. It is wrong in my case but that is the perception.

Sounds like you are primarily looking for a 5 seater? I assume in PA you want AWD? What about replacing the TL with a TLX? Or a Lexus ES AWD. The AWD will be in the mid to high 40s, well below your budget and he can drive that to death? In general sedans are a better deal than SUVs. The RDX and the RX350 are both nice smooth cars, I have driven both and also under your price range.

Was also very happy with my Sienna which was traded in at 14 years and 167K miles (this is for the reliability of Toyota/Lexus not suggesting you get one). If you plan to keep it I would consider a Hybrid since even after this is over, you don’t know whether it will happen again.

As for whether to buy or lease, if there is a lease promotion and your husband drives 10-12-15K a year (not more or less) then consider it but if he drives significantly more or less it may not be worth it. I look at the negotiated monthly lease price and all other payments and fees other than taxes and DMV, add them up plus the residual and see how that compares with buying the car outright.A friend leased a Mazda, paying $500 a month for a $39K car makes no sense since he will have paid over $20K toward the car by the time he turns it in. However, paying $350 or $375 in the same situation does make sense but is not currently available. As for putting money down on a lease to avoid the interest, if all goes well, sure, if however the car is totaled or stolen, you do not get the cap cost reduction back. I had a friend recently have an accident with a 3 month old Mazda, while he may not have Gap insurance (he does not remember and may have a problem), if he had put money down, he would not be getting that back if they total the car (which is still possible). In our state (not PA) and with our specific insurance company (no idea about others) I believe we get the portion of the taxes back which is why he paid the taxes upfront and had them marked as taxes on the lease rather than as a cap cost reduction but will see if that really happens

1 Like

Hi everyone, thank you all for your input. We have made no decision yet, I am sorry. My husband is now telling me he wants an MB E-class 4MATIC sedan, no SUV. There is no E-class near where I live that I can test drive and the closest dealer says to order for August/September delivery. The rates are rising, so I am unsure if I should purchase or lease to save money.

Don’t always go with the manufacturer, check credit unions, members first, Hershey federal, bellco, DCU, etc

If he wants to save money and time isn’t urgent urgent look at getting an incoming car or ordering something

1 Like

Thank you!

On cars that haven’t changed much, you can test drive a used or CPO 2019, 2020 or 2021 model if you can’t find a brand new one.

Rising rates should not influence your decision too much, because (A) they will affect leases too, and (B) the relatively short term and balance of an auto loan means it doesn’t increase your TCO (total cost of ownership) by that much.

1 Like

You are right about that!

Awww too bad about the no suvs, I can give you 3500 below msrp on an xc60 or 90.

2 Likes

Also the xc 60 recharge?

3k off recharge plus any rebates.

2 Likes

Where are you located? Do you serve Northern California?