Where do you invest your money?

Woof. 245k in 2017 could have bought you:

A) A Tesla Roadster FE reservation (which would still be pending 5 years later)

B) what would now be worth >4mn in TSLA stock

Nice way to get interest free loans for half a decade… who wants to make a shitty website and try to start another company? Atlis Motors? Oh wait, that scam already left port and made 7mn… https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/ :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Reminder that i-bond rates reset on May 2nd

2 Likes

The I-bonds seem like a no brainer.

1 Like

One should buy before May. Lock in the 7.12 and then the 9.6

2 Likes

Why wouldnt you just buy in May after the rate goes up?

I’m new to these but it looks like the rate locks every 6 months. So if you buy in Apr you get 6mos at 7% and then next 6mos at 9%. If you buy in May you get 6mos at 9%, not knowing what comes after that. Same unknown if you buy now (you don’t know what comes after the 9%) but at least you lock in a full year of “known” ~8% return.

1 Like

Does anyone happen to know if I-bond purchases are considered tax deductible IRA contributions?

Correct. I just bought some in December at the current rate(s), I’m waiting until May 2nd / betting that the next inflation print is as-high-or-higher, if only for it to reverse for the rest of you.

New to me - if so you would have to buy them inside your IRA account (vs from Treasury Direct).

New to me also…and I have not been able to determine that there is another way to acquire these outside of Treasury Direct.

1 Like

Aside from your tax returns or the bank, same

1 Like

I bought a bunch of XLP today (to hold).

Yes, this is why. I’m betting the next rate will be lower. I was shocked it was higher this time.

Figuring out our next S179 to soak up this and next years tax liability. Already burnt through the MX’s depreciation. :eyes:

2 Likes

Same. Short list?

X5e is high on the list since it still has a BEV credit, back in line for one after trading my build for a couple of client cars allocations.

Still have a refresh MX on order but in the lowest priority configuration so it probably won’t get built till 2023.

Etron deals suck right now (even at triple net :shushing_face:) so that’s a non starter.

Didn’t get in line for Rivian on time for the hot pricing since I figured it would be vaporware.

iX is just a tad too rich in the packaging I’d order it in but seems promising otherwise.

2 Likes

Opening an account now and the site is archaic. Do you really have to open two accounts (wife and myself) to max out the limit ? No way to do it as a joint for the 20k?

1 Like

I have to run some browser plugin to allow me to use a password manager with Treasury Direct - it’s ancient.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359319

Yes one account per person / trust AFAIK, unfortunately

2 Likes

Looks great to me…for 1997.

Hopefully their security is better than their web design🤪

2 Likes

It’s probably because you are not running Netscape, the website was optimized for that browser.

7 Likes

I was always more of a GOPHER fan myself. You’re timing is right though, I had a job in 1997 where I specifically remember Netscape Navigator 3.0 / shrink-wrapped on floppies (iirc it was $39!), with some extra juju to make SSL work. Treasury Direct would probably still work on NN 4.x

4 Likes