Where do you invest your money?

Any opinions on this? It’s a bit of a weird 401(k) matching by the company.
I feel like it is worth it until 33% match.

3 Likes

You blacked out the text but not the bubble. Anyway Qualcom is a great place to work!

11 Likes

If you are able, do the full contribution of 20.5k and take the $5,725.

Decent match and a fairly good vesting period

4 Likes

Huh? You should max out any match you can, so long as you can afford it. Anything else is throwing free money away. If you can afford it, max out the contribution.

3 Likes

wow 10% no limit and a 2 year vesting? NICE

Think of it this way, can you invest your funds with a guaranteed 10% return?

3 Likes

Max it out. 401k contributions are a great way to reduce AGI to help qualify for stuff like EV tax credits. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

+1 for maxing it out. When your next tranche of RSUs vest you can buy all of us beers at Karl Strauss to celebrate your modest tax savings.

4 Likes

You’ve gotten the right reflexive responses (max it), but it really depends on how one has addressed higher priorities. (I used “one” not to personalize this; it’s a general comment that isn’t specific to you :slight_smile: ).

I’d pause and reflect if I had a bunch of high-interest credit card debt and/or no/little liquid savings, and proceed cautiously after weighing the pros and cons of various choices.

3 Likes

I prefer the back door IRA approach to 401k. Of course I would always match any company contributions for 401k but usually not above that. Tax rates are likely to be higher in the future so I’d prefer to have tax free gains then…

4 Likes

Care to share a simplified guide to that? I hear about all the time but sounds complicated. Can’t find a version “Backdoor IRA for dummies”.

Depends what you mean. Back
door 401k vs backdoor Roth are diff things. 401k version requires a plan that lets you do after tax contributions which you then convert to Roth, which not all of them allow.

The fundamental thing is you are basically paying tax on it now rather than later, and making a bet at future tax rates for either yourself or in general being higher in future.

Keep in mind that tons of people screw this up and results in not insignificant headaches for what may or may not be a significant difference in future.

1 Like

This simplifies it somewhat. It’s basically if your income is to high for traditional products. I think 200k+ for married gets you there. I don’t fully understand it but my accountant has never done me wrong in the past so I trusted his advice on them.

1 Like

:rofl:

This does sound convincing but tying up that much money for the next 28 years is also a big decision.

That sounds great. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t have any high-interest debts. Was just trying to save up a bit for the downpayment for a future house someday.

The company does offer me a Roth 401k. I am still deciding between 401k and Roth 401k. Saving some taxes now sounds convincing but I also realize that my pay especially for 2022 is going to be low compared to retirement.

2 Likes

I assumed you didn’t, that’s why I tried to depersonalize my response. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re young take the Roth 401k and thank me in 2052

4 Likes

Any advice on this part

I haven’t looked through the individual indexes but “VANG INST 500 IDX TR” has the lowest expense ratio and seems to follow S&P500.

1 Like

Agree with you there, I’d put your contributions towards a long-term S&P500 index fund with a low expense ratio

4 Likes

Yes that

10 char

1 Like

Appreciate all the help guys! :clap:

Could be wrong but i believe the fund name is the expected retirement date. So dependent on your age i would choose the one that corresponds. That being the case means it’s probably managed much more aggressive in the first few years and slows as you get closer to retirement.

2 Likes