Where do you invest your money?

Simple rule is:
If current marginal tax rate is greater than expected tax rate in retirement, go traditional. If lower or same, go Roth.

Sorry, to clarify I withdrew with penalty. That was like 8 years ago.

If I had a way of predicting the future as uncertain as tax code, I’d find way better uses for this than deciding between Roth and traditional.

3 Likes

More debt…longer in debt

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

I have like 80% of my portfolio in Moderna.
Narrator: Things aren’t going well lately.

1 Like

Try ocgn. If they get approved for emergency use to Jab babies the stock will be $20 at least.

2 Likes

Political posts moved to Landfill. Please stay on topic.

2 Likes

You conveniently left the bullshit dailycaller article that started the whole discussion.

Unintentional. Which post? I did move one batch and then one additional post that I’d missed the first time.

1 Like

We’re moving X% of our securities portfolio at the rate of Y% per month to cash for some indefinite period of time, beginning today.

I haven’t decided on the values for X or Y, but that doesn’t mean I can’t get started.

I’m going to start with the weakest performers.

2 Likes

But the devil is in X and Y!

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

:arrow_up:

At some point the levy breaks, the money runs out and the bond market will set the interest rates. Not the US Government. Like the markets used to operate before the last generation of Fed meddling.

At some point we’ll also reach the heat-death of our universe. The question for investors is when? NASDAQ up 10% this week, just heard a thoughtful explanation (though I’m not sure I agree) for S&P at 5000 by January, which is another ~8%.

When you decide your strategy I’d be curious to know what it was. I’m not really looking to harvest tax losses or cash out upside on anything I own at the moment. There is one particular Hindenburg in the S&P which gets mentioned endlessly here that already caused me to trim my S&P positions over 6 months ago, everything I’ll rolled into has out-performed it.

I wish I was knowledgeable enough to create an actual strategy for this. :slight_smile:

We’ve penciled in liquidating 30-40% at a rate of 3-5% per month until the job is done, lowest-performing first (based on 12-month performance).

This portion is all the house’s money, and even if it stays in cash for a couple of years I’m okay going backward a bit as inflation eats into everything.

Our primary objective is preserving what we currently have, give or take a reasonable margin.

Of course, the other problem is what to do with what’s still invested. :expressionless: {I do need to move the income-producing investments into our Roths. I’ve been sloppy with that.}

2 Likes

If you can maintain that 30% return a year over the next 15 years then you would be the greatest investor of all time. You would have turned $10,000 into nearly 20 Million…

Why try to time the market? Are you trying to save for a down payment or just nervous?

My outlook is usually just index funds and chill. They’ll be worth more 10 years from now than today. Who cares if they go up and down in between.

1 Like