"Where did you get that # from"?

How do you answer this question usually?

For example, I am negotiating a car and I said I’m willing to pay xxxxx. Dealer then emails back, No I can’t do that. Where did you get that # from?

How do you respond?

If they’re not willing to do the deal I proposed, I thank them for their time and move on.

4 Likes

Where did you get the number from? Thin air?

1 Like

It’s a fair question. Did you do any research? Is that just a number you’re comfortable paying? Can’t say you just saw it on a forum, since there’s a ton of factors that go into numbers.

Ok, thank you for you time. Let me know if anything changes in the future.

4 Likes

You can either thank them for their time and move on or say something like this: “Based on my own research, I believe this is a fair offer. If you can’t do this deal at a XX off MSRP, what number do you have in mind?”

Side note: Never mention Leasehackr as a source of your research.

4 Likes

Pro Tip ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

3 Likes

We’re infamous…

The real advice of this thread.

3 Likes

I would tell them “the number is xxx discount off MSRP, using the base MF of xxx, and including lease cash of xxx.”

2 Likes

I would use this response if they asked how I came up with that payment. Still great advice.

It depends. Like @jon said, how did you come up with that number? And what make/model is it?

Although that question comes off pretty rude you should actually have an answer unless you literally made the number up.

-you could of got that number because you did the calculations & you know that’s where you need to be for the payment your looking to achieve

-You negotiated with another dealer & they gave you those numbers or very close to them so you’re just trying to get someone to do a little better

-you did research & found out that’s what the car you’re looking at is going for

Any other questions feel free to send us a direct message, also depending on what brand you’re looking for we can help you get a quote

PMing you now

I normally ask this question to the customers that are so far from reality. Like the call yesterday “I heard that you should easily be able to get 30% off any new car”.

“Where did you get that # from?”

4 Likes

I’ve got some 2018’s I can mark down over 30%. :grin:

1 Like

This one is making my thighs sweat.

1 Like

Your forgot. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out?

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

“It’s the price I’m willing to pay for the car. That’s where I got it from. If you say yes, great. If not, that’s OK too.”

1 Like

I know you are busy and don’t have time for bull shit like this, but for your own amusement I’d love to see how far you can pry by pretending to take this person seriously. “Which particular stock number are you interested in?” “That might be possible, but we’d have to come in way too low on your trade in.”

I’d rather be armed with research. Show your hand by giving them the stock number, MSRP, Selling Price, Money Factor, Residual Value, & Sales Tax Rate. If you are going to say that “dealer B” across town is willing to sell it to me at $X, then you’d better be prepared to have your bluff called when they say: “there’s no way we can do that, you’d better run over there before they change their mind.” Maybe they made a mistake when inputting the money factor…Maybe they mark up the money factor on every lease, but their cheaper selling price makes up for it. Some dealers scoff when you tell them you have a deal 3 hours away in northern MA that’s a solid $100 per month cheaper.

We all read about those unicorn deals on the oddly optioned lot queen that got the massive discount, every available incentive, holdback, plus is sold on the last day of the month/quarter/year. This site has taught me to push far beyond my normal (Invoice minus incentives) offer, but you have to be realistic. Look at the RODO, get the money factor/residual value/incentives from edmunds, Look at what some of the brokers here are offering.

1 Like