What's it like leasing?

just don’t blow it up in the process, or that 300/mo payment will skyrocket when you’re replacing an engine on your dime because your warranty claim was denied due to abuse.

2 Likes

It is every brand, but the Germans take it to another level. When I worked for Audi, we had to go to a 3 day 101 training and every other year an advanced training session. BMW has a similar system too. Acura had me sit at a computer until I completed the modules. My biggest complaint with BMW training is that they teach you to sell (most BMW sales people are not rookies) rather than the brand itself. So it was a bunch of cheesy word tracks and handling common objections, plus we are the best brand to drive. Audi did a little of that, but it was mostly brand history and culture plus a day of driving the cars. It actually makes it easier to sell cars in my opinion when you can weave in some history or brand culture rather than info from the order guides. With that said, BMWs do drive better than other non-exotic brands and as a car enthusiast, it is hard to get excited about a non-AMG Mercedes or non-RS/R Audis.

2 Likes

One man’s abuse is another man’s enthusiastic driving. Without mods and following the maintenance schedule, and car with an automatic (i.e. no money shifts) would be hard to claim an engine failure as the fault of the lessee. I can’t remember hearing of a warranty denial.

If that’s a risk you’re willing to take, you have at it. Warranty claims can and have been denied just by pulling data from the computer on the car’s operation, but you do you.

1 Like

Haha, I drive my out of warranty German cars hard. Why own a Porsche if you drive it like Grandma? I can risk an in-warranty failure since the burden is on the manufacturer to prove abuse.

Just a heads-up - ECU’s record a lot of info :grin: they’re like ‘black boxes’ on planes :joy:
Got into a “spirited” discussion at a dealer once… and they proceeded to show me 30-day data dumps… :joy::rofl:

1 Like

LOL, I know they log but what I would object to is driving your car hard is abuse which would void the warranty. Like why are they selling these cars with 400+ HP and huge brakes, super sticky summer tires if we are supposed to just putter around town keeping up with the Accords and Rav4s. Why set a redline at 7500 if they say don’t approach it? A Porsche with a n/a engine is only truly happy within 2k of redline which is where I try and keep mine on any fun drive.

2 Likes

Agreed, I have returned more than 10 cars with 20% tint without issue, But I do live in Florida and tint is very common.

1 Like

I want to start leasing also

Like others have mentioned, manufactures vary from what they offer, also how strict they are with wear and tear and their willingness to forgive anything excess. From personal experience, Honda has been very generous while Volkswagen was not. I haven’t had to pay for tires or replace tires with Honda, or excessive “wear and tear” whilst I felt Volkswagen was very strict and not willing to give an inch. In the end, I’ve had a significantly better experience in leasing through Honda than Volkswagen.

Get a fart car! Already pre abused

Especially the seats!