What would you do? BMW Lease

Leased a 2021 330i with a the M Sport Package on August 1 2021.

MSRP was 50k and current payment is 498. Lease is for 36/10. Current buyout is 38.5k from BMW.

I have moved to the north east and need an AWD car for the winter (also something more fun :slight_smile: ) Is there anyway I’ll be able to get out of this without losing money? Car is in perfect condition, recently got inspected and purchased 2 new rear tires.

What would you recommend?

Get offers from a few of the usual suspects to see if you’re upside down or not.

You might not be able to actually sell it to Carvana or Vroom etc. but this will at least give you an idea of how much positive or negative equity you have.

If you’re positive or at least break even then you can shop it to BMW dealers to see if they can match or at least get close. Take any equity and walk away and buy/lease something else.

If you’re negative then it’s really up to you on how much you’re willing to eat in order to get out of this lease. A good set of snow tires will go a long way.

I would try https://www.swapalease.com/
I did it several times and it’s fine/safe.

I was curious about that, would snow tires and sand bags be sufficient for some snow? I’m in PA so it’s not like we get feet at a time.

What was the process behind this?

I understand you post the car and see if people are interested. But how does the actual signing of the car over to them work? Do we meet at a dealership?

Also, what if there was a downpayment/msds involved? Do they take those over? (I dont have any in my lease but just wondering)

You can meet up anywhere you want to show them the car. A dealership will not facilitate a lease swap. You have to contact your finance company, they will arrange everything. Most banks charge transfer fees for this service. The buyer will have to submit a credit app. Once they are approved, both parties will sign paperwork and that’s it. You won’t get MSDs back from the bank, the new owner will receive them at the time of lease end. It’s up to you, either you can collect it from the new owner at the time of the takeover or you can give it away as an incentive.

I have driven rear wheel drive cars in the snow for decades…good snow tires make all the difference in the world!

If you’re underwater just transfer it, don’t bother with swap a lease or other sites, just create a post on this site. With this market you’ll have no problems unloading it.

Greater Boston/Southern New England driver here. My humble suggestion: just get a second set of rims with legit winter tires, and you will be fine. Not sure where you’re going OP, but for -most- people 4WD is not an absolute necessity, and it’s certainly not a magic cloak of invincibility. As several motorhead friends say: it’s called 4 Wheel Drive, not 4 Wheel Stop, for a reason. (That said, I can ALWAYS sympathize with the desire to get something fun…)

You can get relatively inexpensive alternative rims from Tire Rack that come mounted and balanced with the winter tires of your choice. (Or you can go OEM wheels too.) You can re-use those on another BMW, or probably sell them when your lease is over and get a significant portion of your money back (depending of course on tread depth).

Case in point: my last M3 (F80 - MY2015) had a second set of wheels (18" instead of 19", but same difference) with Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 winter tires across all 4 corners. I ran those “winter” wheels and tires from about mid-November through about early March, for one season, and I’d say they performed better that the all seasons on any XDrive or 4Matic BMW or Mercedes I’ve had in the last 10 years. Winter tires are a game changer, not just for snow cover, but for ice, near-ice, cold wet pavement, slush and just plain cold weather. At lease end I ended up selling the extra wheels for basically what I had paid for them, and managed to sell the Blizzaks (which were still relatively good) loose for about 40% of what I had paid for them.

YMMV / free advice is often worth less than you paid for it / etc.

Try getting some offers from BMW dealers. I just sold my leased bmw 330e to autonation.

Thank you ! I appreciate it

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.