What is the most pragmatic way to sell a car?

So i’ve been thinking of selling my 2022 Macan S which I have owned for about 20 months now. I’ve been getting a few of the buymycar sites pinging me from time to time (most recently as of last week) to buy it, but at lowball (to me) prices. That made me start thinking - what is the best way to sell my car? I havent been in this situation in a while as I have been leasing for the past 10 years or so and never had to deal with the headache of potential buyers (tire kickers, flakers, lowballers, etc.)
I think my car is relatively desirable (good specs, 6k miles), so to the right buyer, it can probably make me a little more than the dealer. Obviously the dealer is the easiest, and the trade in can give me another 8-9% due to tax breaks, but I know they know that too and will likely play hardball.
This is not a shitcan car, so I don’t want to list it on craigslist - I probably would have with my civics and maximas in the past. Are there any brokers who specialize in trying to sell cars for you, or any good websites? Or is the recommendation just to do the old fashioned - find the enthusiast board for your car and post it there? TIA

First place to start is to validate that what you’re asking / expecting is reasonable.

Have you already established that with actual data?

And obviously the numbers are going to be different if you sell private party vs. having Carvana load it onto a flatbed and drive off into the sunset.

Have you considered consignment?

1 Like

Read users’ experience with the major ones by searching “sold to…”

1 Like

I have a pretty lightly optioned S. I bought it for msrp. I would think that private party would be in mid 60s? And I’m getting offers for mid 50s. I only purchased it because leases were so bad at the time and I’m really just looking at TCO and don’t care if it’s lease or anything else.

My plan was to keep it for at most 3 years and probably still will to keep just minimize TCO. But there are so many other practical cars I would like to try out at this time.

Never heard of consignment. What is that? Maybe I’ll look into it.

I’m more in the exploratory phase right now, so when the time comes, I can just pull the trigger

yea. this is probably the wholesale cost method, which i’ve tried and thought I was getting lowballed. I guess I was looking more for the best way for “direct to buyer” methods that will get rid of the middleman, but maybe pay a small fee… something like the leasing brokers, but for selling :slight_smile:

This will be a hard car to sell without ventilated seats or a heated steering wheel. That is why you are getting low balled. Not to be harsh, but most dealers wouldn’t want this car.

Bring A Trailer or Cars and Bids would be your best options for this.

2 Likes

You’ll never know until you tried a few.

I have no idea what the car is worth, but you’ve started the right journey digging in deeper to find the truth.

As a frame of reference (strictly to show the spread), I sold my M550 to Carvana - the highest online bidder - for $37k, and they sold it ~45 days later for $44k.

If mid-60s is realistic for private party (I have no idea) then offers in the mid-50s don’t seem outrageously low to me.

1 Like

Sometimes it is better to sell a dealer. You might get more money with a dealer than end user. So do your market research, set a target price, then search for a dealer who will agree to pay your price.

That’s what I was thinking as well. It was slim pickings when I was shopping before and this was the nicest lot S they had back then for msrp. That being said, I love the car. Just I’m loving the new Lexus GXs too :slight_smile:

I’ll check out those other sites. Thanks!

Or another example: I sold my Defender to GMTV for $68,500 in April and it is still on the dealer’s, who bought at auction, lot for $1,750 less than they paid for it :grin:

1 Like

I would reach out to 3-4 Porsche dealers in a 100 mile radius to you. The car is practically new, ask the used car manager for a price without coming in (just tell him “like new, no damage, 6000 mi and give him the VIN”, they know what that looks like without having to see it in person). To me a Porsche dealer would be the easiest sell and if you find one who thinks they can move it they might give you a competitive price. If they all low ball that’s a good piece of information to have as well.

1 Like

If multiple buyers are all coming in at roughly the same value, you found the market value for your vehicle.

4 Likes

Looking at manheim results for these (I don’t sell many of this brand) it comes in around $53k wholesale so I’m not surprised that is where the offers are coming in at (especially if the options/color etc aren’t perfect). That being said, if a dealer expected $3k in recon, $5k gross profit they could offer around $59k and sell it a little under market average. I think expecting to get mid 60’s for this is very unrealistic.

2 Likes

Yea. Fair enough. I think I’ve gotten ranges from 55-58k from the online wholesalers. I have not tried a dealership but if they give me 58 thats instantly worth 63k because of tax savings. But if I can get more from a private buyer why not try. But realistically I’ll likely just keep it another year and see where it’s at then. Most likely I’ll be at 10k miles at year 3 and depreciation velocity will have slowed way down.

Can’t the insane used market come back again?! Hah.

What is the tax savings if a dealership buys the car?

This makes sense. I’ll probably do this at a later time. But ideally I’ll trade it in somewhere where I will buy my next car. Probably a Lexus or Toyota dealer at this moment. I don’t Know if the non Porsche dealers will give me lower number than a Porsche dealer though.

If they buy it from me for 58k and I use that 58k towards another car there I believe I won’t have to pay the tax on that trade in value. Where I live it’s 9% tax so it’s around 5.3k “savings”.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks for explaining.

Did you try to get CarMax value, which btw you can get through Edmunds dot com? Edmunds will also provide you with their own TMV appraisal, based on specs and condition. You will get a fair idea how much you could ask for the car if you wanted to sell it private. In my experience, it’s possible to get dealer pay you more than Carmax if the car is desirable and is something they want to acquire to sell. At the very worst I sold my cars to dealer who paid full payoff quote, which was also the certified offer I received from Carmax. But I leased my cars, always got them with a discount off MSRP, paid for depreciation and by the time I traded them to dealers their wholesale value was close to lease pay-off. If you paid full retail, with taxes and all fees added to total, you probably got this car at premium, and depending on the terms of your loan (shorter is better) you might be well under the water. Dealers are not supposed to offer you anything above wholesale/Carmax offer. You need to do your research, get online appraisals (you may even take it to your local Carmax to get in person/verified offer) and then decide if it’s worth taking a hit to get rid of it now, or if you should keep it.