What Happens to Cars Affected by Catastrophe?

This is the video

Totaled my 981 last year and got a ~33k estimate for the repair out here in PA. The thing went off to IAAI and I really regretted not buying it when I saw it ultimately go for ~15k, especially with how little the damage appeared to be, but without the expertise or any tools to work aluminum, I didn’t bite.

Posted it on VinWiki back then, and I got a note from the new owner out of the blue a month ago. Turns out my beloved Boxster, decked out with an ALP laser system and all the trimmings, somehow ended up in this tiny rural town in northeastern India…

The new owner is apparently a guy who works for the new owners of JLR, the Tata group. I’m getting on a Zoom with him some time later this month to learn the full story of how the heck the car made its way there, but I did already learn that it cost him 3 lac INR to bring it back to working shape. That’s just 4K USD!!!

Though, when I asked how he got his hands on a replacement ft inner structure, which was on a massive delayed backorder here in the US, he just laughed and responded, “mallet and a lot of hard work.” I cant wait to see the final outcome.

This is heartbreaking and so painful to watch…

6 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/112634706974704/videos/622169445360784/

3 Likes

Heres another one

https://www.facebook.com/112634706974704/videos/643925653139005/

3 Likes

Definitely worth the two month wait :joy::scream:

If you go on his fb page, u will see numerous videos. Im sure these are rebuilt title cars probably cause they keep abusing the same colored ones. Amazing way to gain publicity and market their skills.

2 Likes

What did I just watch :rofl:, at the end where the lady knocks people out.

Chinese TikTok/Douyin social media star. These videos are the extended version of the ones that make the real money online, that are a minute long. They’re reposted into oblivion everywhere.

1 Like

Ahh tiktok, the eternal time waster.

I guess I’m not hip to the social media game.

LH, tiktok, canvas, then zoom are my most used apps, I that order.

His stuff is on douyin and Facebook apparently.