What are you doing to entertain the kiddos?

I’m surely not the only one coming up with new activities with so much, ahem, quality time with the kid.

We have one 5-year-old. We’ve done daily scavenger hunt walks. Today we pretended we were birds hunting for nest supplies. We added the goods to a spent Rice-A-Roni cup. Probably won’t make money selling on Etsy, but she was happy with it and it killed some time in a good way.

What are others doing to keep tricycle motors occupied?

2 Likes

You got it easy. We have three under 8 years old. They are ready for mutiny and its getting ugly…

Trying to play outside as much as possible, but weather hasn’t been great. The usual, math and reading work books, puzzles, ipad games, building forts, painting, baking, etc… Trying to keep the sanity.

7 Likes

Oooof. I definitely have been thinking about our friends with more than one kid. Changes the whole chemistry and everything.

Ours is also very mellow, on the spectrum of 5-year-olds.

Good luck! Give Cosmic Kids a try for some short fitness / yoga stuff they can do on their own maybe for 20 minutes.

You gotta run zone-d with that many. We for sure have it easy, that I know. And weather that can’t be beaten.

:bat:

1 Like

School work while I’m working. Until 3 pm time flies. Then free play outside and some video games.

1 Like

And any time after 2:00 one spouse will say “What kind of beer do we have left . . . “ At least in this house.

I bought a special fifth of Jameson, too, but I may have been duped.

5 Likes

Bought an Xbox a couple weeks ago, me and the teenage boy enjoy some quality time playing Halo and Call of Duty, don’t tell the CFO I’m not sure how much she would approve of COD. Lots of walks and bike rides too.

6 Likes

PS4 gift in February for my son’s 8th birthday was a great investment:)

2 Likes

How is that working with everyone home?

1 Like

Oh I don’t work from home, thankfully. I work at the airport so I’m “essential”, whatever that means. Someone’s got to make sure all 20 people get out on their flights safely.

8 Likes

Laughed out loud at that and now the wifey thinks I’m nuts.

1 Like

Got two under 4 so arts and crafts, scavenger hunts. When the youngest is down for naps we’re doing writing our lower case letters, some light school work. When it gets out of hand emergency Bubble Guppies and Nintendo switch lol.

1 Like

Hope this helps at least one of you

2 Likes

My girlfriend is trying to work from home (Govt Employee) while her 8 year-old and 10-year old rotate between fighting and having technical difficulties using Zoom to meet with their teachers and do homework. I am working Monday through Saturday 9AM to 4PM and when I get home she looks like she just survived a natural disaster.

7 Likes

My wife says the same thing about me after watching a 2 year old when she’s done at the hospital, and trying to work when he’s napping, or taking meetings while he yells “DADA, wanna make a tunnel?”

I give her credit…when I get home when she’s not working on a normal day, the house looks good. I, on the other hand, can’t keep up and it looks like a federal disaster area.

5 Likes

So my garage has been gutted out and transformed into an indoor kiddie playground with new stuff being added almost daily :neutral_face: But as long as the little ones happy its all that matters :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

by the way, I have never seen so much traffic on the OFF-RAMP section ever lol. Good times … Keep it coming LH Fam !

5 Likes

This thread speaks to me. Or triggers me. I haven’t decided which.

My 3yo is home. His Montessori program started doing distance learning this week, which has helped eliminate the burden of my wife and I having to come up with every activity.

We’ve been doing a lot of books and arts/crafts projects. My wife is working with him on improving his sight recognition of numbers, basic addition and subtraction, etc. We have also lifted a lot of our screen time restrictions, because she and I are both still working full-time - so he typically gets a movie in the afternoons.

The challenge for us is he really doesn’t know how to self-manage on a video call, yet. So things like his virtual classes are challenging.

6 Likes

We’ve been doing “virtual play dates” which is nothing more than letting Mika FaceTime her friends. It’s funny to listen to a couple 5 YO girls chatter like hens about their days. It also burns like 30 minutes for us and the other parents.

We’re working thru pre-K books for reading and writing. Our little trove of Read Me books I wouldn’t sell for $1,000 right now. (They’re books that come with a little box that reads the pages one at a time with corresponding buttons. Basically they “read” to themselves despite not being able to read yet.)

Now that we only have one person working it’s been pretty easy to split up kid duty.

3 Likes

I just dealt with a nightmare of my daughters tablet going bad due to a bad charging port. 2 days to fix it cost me and my wife a lot of blood cells I say

3 Likes

Hell I’d have been at Wal Mart minute number one of iPad failure!

1 Like