What are you cooking? Show us your creations 🍔

Hot & Cold Ice Cream Sandwich :cookie::icecream::cookie:

Trader Joe’s ready to bake chocolate chip cookies: bake (2) @ 350 for 12 mins

Cool for 2-3 mins, add 1 scoop french vanilla ice cream, eat before it melts

5 Likes

Leeks were harvested from the garden today, and I’m currently in the simmering phase of making potato leek soup.

If it’s photogenic when I serve it I’ll post a photo. :bowl_with_spoon:

1 Like

Did you intern at The Baked Bear?

1 Like

Shanda! Definitely not (great location, set the contents on fire)

Surf and Turf re creation of a meal I had on Montauk for about 1/4 the price.

4 Likes

Everything is better with bacon.

5 Likes

Cold smoked salmon. Half way through.

6 Likes

fwiw, the potato leek soup I made last night is the perfect vehicle for leftover salmon. :yum:

1 Like

Just out of the oven.

Fillings are from scratch, but I obviously bought the crusts (eventually; I had to drive to two Vons stores, a Walmart and a Target before eventually finding them in stock at Sprouts).

I also couldn’t find 9" deep dish foil pie pans to use with a homemade crust or with those refrigerated pie crust sheets that you unroll into your own pan.

5 Likes

Just pan seared a prime rib. About to slather in compound butter and then into the sous vide for 6 hours or so.

1 Like

I could go for a slice of pecan pie rn

2 Likes

oooo baby you gotta share some recipes. I’m dying with chicken and rice every meal :frowning:

Pecan is among the very easiest pies to make.

Buy a frozen crust and the whole thing is in the oven in < 5 minutes (not counting heating up the oven).

If you’re feeling saucy, serve it warm with melted butter and vanilla ice cream, like they do at Mr. B’s.

3 Likes

Hmmm, you may have sparked my interest. I’ve always found joy in cooking, but baking has been uncharted territory (for the most part, particularly pies).

I do have a bottle of key lime juice I picked up from a place in FL, I’ve get to use. Key lime pie is one of the best. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The crust generally is the most time-consuming part.

Consider buying crusts and focus the effort on the fillings until you feel like a pro at that (won’t take long).

I think the graham cracker / crushed cookie crusts are much easier than the ones you make with flour, fat, etc, that you have to roll out.

So attack it in phases if you’re at all apprehensive.

5 Likes

Agreed. I will say for my money, the Pillsbury pastry crust that isn’t frozen (in grocery store with ready-to-bake cookies and rolls) is not only 100x better than frozen, but 95% as good as the best scratch crust I ever made. As long as you have a pie pan, roll it and bake it.

Agreed. Cheesecake is surprisingly easy to make, I had a coworker that always wanted one for his birthday- crust / 2 layers / fresh fruit topping took just about an hour with prep/baking/setting and was always a hit.

2 Likes

Yes, cheesecake is quite simple make, whether it is the no-bake or traditional style. I love a good ole fashioned New York style cheesecake.

Haha, I don’t really have recipes I just cook/prepare whatever I think of and taste-taste-taste, so far I haven’t been disappointed :upside_down_face:

Since were on the subject of pecans every Thanksgiving time including this recent one I whipped up a batch of pecan balls. If your looking for a quick / simple item to please the guests :slightly_smiling_face:

Pecans - in food processor ( or Nutribullet works )
2 Cups flour
Brown sugar - 1 1/4
Butter - 2 sticks or less
Vanilla - teaspoon
Very small amount of water
Powdered sugar ( for when they come out of the oven )

Make them into 3/4" balls throw in oven for 30-35 at 325 or so. It always a crowd pleaser and relatively simple.

2 Likes

The frozen crust I bought at Sprouts was very good, and Marie Callender also knows a thing or two about frozen pie crust.

Sometimes I still enjoy the ceremonial aspects of making everything from scratch, even though the prepared pie crust options are worthy stand-ins.

Ultimately I still think homemade is noticeably better, and since I got a Silpat the number of eff words per homemade crust (when I bother) has dropped by 96.8%.

1 Like