What are you cooking? Show us your creations 🍔

Did you see him at the 2018 awards dinner? I don’t think he knew where he was.tenor (28)

Marble pound cake, just pulled from the oven.

5 Likes

I have a whole chicken roasting in the oven.

Homemade chicken gravy is one of my guilty pleasures, but it’s a pain to make every time.

I recently discovered that gravy freezes surprisingly well, so last time I roasted a chicken I made a batch of gravy, chilled it in a glass dish, cut it into single-serving cubes, wrapped the cubes in wax paper, and kept them in the freezer.

A couple of zaps in the microwave, and voila!

Now, for the chicken: Normally I separate the skin from the meat with a spoon and insert softened butter with fresh chopped garlic and various herbs, but I was lazy this afternoon and substituted cut-up bacon strips for the compound butter instead.

I have no illusions that the bacon itself will be enjoyable to eat (it’ll be soggy), but I am eager to find out how the chicken tastes.

6 Likes

I wanna try this! My local supermarket has fresh whole chicken at 99c/pound this week so I better grab one. I’ve seen people use ice cube trays but never just cutting it. Did you use a flour based gravy, a jus, or something else?

This is cream gravy (chicken fat, heavy cream, a little flour [if necessary]), and seasoned with salt and pepper. Milk works in a pinch, you just need more flour.

And technically I use Lawry’s seasoned salt instead of plain salt, but that’s a personal adaptation that may not please the cream gravy purists.

I can’t report resounding success with this.

It wasn’t bad.

The fat from the bacon sort of cooked away and disappeared, leaving the meaty pieces behind. These were soft and tasted - ever so faintly - like ham.

The skin on the chicken did not get crisp like it normally does, and there was no discernible bacon flavor imparted to the meat on the chicken.

I would not do this again.

No, it interferes with all the fat.

1 Like

Dinner at dukez household tonight

10 Likes

Hotpot / Shabu Shabu?

1 Like

herb grilled 3 cheesez :cheese::cheese::cheese: with air-fried, applewood-smoked bacon :pig_nose::bacon::sandwich:
homemade chicken tortellini soup :ramen:

3 Likes

Recreating the Prince Street Pizza from NY

5 Likes

Uzbek lamb and veggie soup - Shurpa, with shots of ice-cold vodka :yum:

Grilled lamb chops - Chalahach

Home-made eggs Benedict

7 Likes

I improvised a coconut cream pie before sunrise this morning (filling from scratch, but I cheated and used a pre-made graham cracker crust).

This afternoon when I went to grab it from the fridge for its glamour shot, it was already half eaten.

1 Like

oh my goodness! do you suspect a mouse?

1 Like

Is that a spot of smoked salmon, capers, and onion I see in the corner :heart_eyes:

:chocolate_bar:

It certainly is. Smoked salmon with capers is one of my favs.

1 Like

from Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

Lamb Shank, Tuna-Egg Salad with Fresh Cranberries-Siete Grain Free Chips, Eggs Over Easy on Sprouted Bread and Sheeps milk Feta Cheese, STONE Hazy IPA

5 Likes

Thinking of you Mr @trism

(not homemade)

4 Likes

Homemade shakshuka, including making the sauce out of fresh tomatoes - nothing canned!

4 Likes