What are you cooking? Show us your creations 🍔

Trying my hands on bread making. Using recipes from Ken Forkish book - “Flour Water Salt Yeast”

2 Likes

So far, not bad! I haven’t tried Trader Joe’s yet — fingers crossed some are stocked when I make my weekly grocery trip soon.

1 Like

Instapot Palak Paneer tonight

4 Likes

And did queso fundido. Yum. The real question is can @Bostoncarconcierge guess the appliance lol

2 Likes

That’s an induction Masterpiece. :blush:

2 Likes

Everyone loves this dish… Here you go.

Tips:

• I skip the cucumber, which can turn the sauce watery.
  • I never have sherry in the house, so I just add extra coconut milk or chicken stock in the same amount.
  • I prefer all-natural peanut butter (the gross kind you have to stir) for this, but use whatever you have.

If you enjoy cooking, the book from which the recipe came is an exceptional collection. It’s out of print, but Alibris always has used copies for almost nothing.

4 Likes

Speaking of cooking, any suggestion for a reasonably priced frying pan? Non-stick and chemical free would be nice.

Calphalon ceramic are pretty good. Starting to lose their nonstick after about 2 years but we cook a lot.

1 Like

Whatever TJ Maxx/Marshall’s/HomeGoods has in the ~$20 range.

You can throw them in the dishwasher and not care what they look like when they come out, and then toss/replace/repeat every few years.

I like my SCANPAN stuff too. It’ll last longer, but it’s also a lot more expensive. I’m no longer buying it, because I think I get more value out a series of less expensive pans despite their shorter life.

1 Like

2 cents, a good cast iron. Cheffy me is talking, but a quality cast iron will outlast you, your kids, and with proper care, their kids.

Drawbacks are more hassle to clean, and need to re season (re add oil to the pores and create a glassy nonstick layer) with canola/rapeseed or cottonseed oil once in a while.

Been working on plating and visual appeal since we’re quarantined at home

1 Like

Love the color contrasts between food and plate! For home and personal dining its mise en place!

Only thing I can recommend is to remember colors, like with your rice bowl from 4 days ago, the garnish is almost an inedible afterthought on the side, and doesn’t look like an integrated part of the dish. An idea could be some pickled ginger for acidity and color, or some shaved radish for freshness, color, and crunch!

For restaurant usage, we definitely can’t use all the plate, as runners need to grip the edge to do a Forbes present (sweep from right hand side in a one handed lay).

1 Like

I was looking at cast iron and something called Blue Carbon Steel, which is like a cast iron, but lighter and also requires seasoning. But although my wife is a good cook, she doesn’t like the hassle of all the cleaning/maintaining. So I went with a ceramic set from GreenPan. Hopefully it lasts a couple of years.

Wow impressed

This is by far, my most favorite thread these days. It reminds me of the trophy garage only that stuff here is edible.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider this a pro. Part of the benefit behind a good cast iron pan is the high thermal mass. You get it hot and when you add food, it doesn’t rapidly lose heat because of how much energy is stored in it. A lighter pan can’t store as much energy.

3 Likes

Yes perfect for keeping the queso nice a melty

1 Like

So many sandwiches. In toaster oven I lightly toast a pretzel bun, then add cheddar cheese. This is Diestel smoked turkey: our Wholefoods sells it at deli, it’s real turkey actually smoked and not pressed turkey pumped full of liquid smoke. I like a spicy brown mustard myself. It’s like 10 mins in and out of the toaster oven in 100 steps but you get :kissing_heart::ok_hand:t2::pretzel::cheese::turkey:

Sandwiches:

• Can stand alone :sandwich:
  • Pair best with soup, and only soup :sandwich::ramen:
  • Need chips (room temperature cronch)
  • Are enhanced by some form of deep fried potato :potato: :fries:
0 voters

I improvised this today as follows:

• Half batch of shortbread for the crust

• Layer of ganache (I wasn’t venturing out in search of Valrhona chocolate, so I used some mini semisweet chocolate chips and the coconut milk that was left over from the peanut pasta)

• Two sliced bananas

• A layer of homemade vanilla pudding (milk, half and half, corn starch, sugar, butter, vanilla)

The pudding wasn’t as smooth as it should have been, so I disguised the texture with more mini chocolate chips on the top.

I don’t have any cream to whip, but it may not need it.

Final presentation value is a pretty amateur (maybe a C-) but I’m sure it’ll taste good.

https://i.imgur.com/Nz76ubA.jpg

1 Like

To me, it looks like HK-cafe soup w/ wontons thrown in. My experience is that stuff that’s truly ma la is a lot more red and a lot more oily (this looks more broth-y to me).

Is that the overnight country blonde? Love the taste of that bread (I think it’s the rye), but I always get fouled up on the 2nd proof.

Any recipe you like in particular? I love anything w/ paneer. :slight_smile:

We have a carbon steel pan. It’s not THAT light. I think of the carbon steel pan as a really heavy aluminum pan that’s MIGHT be easier to clean and probably won’t leach chemicals into the food. The greater responsiveness to heat changes is actually want I want, in this case.