What are dealers paying for lease return BMWs?

, ,

Hello, I’ve been looking on and off and the prices of pre-owned BMWs 2019,2020 lease returns and most dealers are asking close to new MSRP prices.

My question is are they paying close to these prices or are they paying closer to what the lease buyout is and then marking it up $20-$30k in some cases? Case in point I see 2019 X7s going for $75k when the lease buyout is $50k.

If they are paying the lease buyout price has anyone had success in negotiating them down $10-$15k so you’re not so underwater in a couple of years when the market adjusts?

it depends on so many factors other than going in and asking ‘what you pay me for this’ you will never know.

As little as they can get away with. :eyes:

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter what they paid for it. They will sell it for as much as possible.

3 Likes

If they are buying them at lease end as a lease that was returned to them, the most they would pay is residual. However if you’re seeing 2019 or 2020 models - most of those at this point are early lease returns, trade ins, etc. so they likely had to pay an inflated wholesale price to get the car, hence the high sales price.

Offered $44k by my local BMW dealer for my 2019 x5 40xi with 43k miles ( bmwfs payoff $40+), but considering that they want to charge me 1400+ for a new basic x6.
I do see similar 2019 x5 listed for sale at around 54-59k and I believe my original negotiated price used to be around 60k back in 2019.
I don’t think dealers will be able to advantage of us for a long I would say max 3-4 months and prices will level out for around pre 2020 levels, I do see a lot of stock but all dealers are gauging and taking advantage of a situation. I had 17 leased bmws since 1998 and willing to switch to any brand that Will be willing to offer me a normal price :slight_smile:

Where? Most dealers are showing every in transit vehicle or vehicle in transit to an in-network dealer to make it look like they have inventory, but hardly anyone actually has much sitting on the lot.

1 Like

Sure not as much as before but at those prices no one needs x5-x6… 1250-1400+ for a basic car , just wait until April + , I’m simply buying out my 2019 which is still under warranty and waiting for a normalized pricing. I offered my old “trusted” dealer a reasonable price and zero negotiations on my trade in and GM simply inflating things out of proportion.

What state are you in? Are you taxed if you purchase the lease? Run the values through Vroom, CarMax, Autonation etc. see what the value is, then try your local BMW dealers.

The BMW dealer knows that either you buy out the car or hand it to a dealer, you can’t hand the lease directly to a third party. They’re going to offer you as little as possible.

If you’re just trying to get equity out, you’re probably better off buying out the lease then selling to CarMax etc.

Try Autonation, see if their local BMW dealer (if they have one) will honor the price, some people have bad luck going this route.

If neither of the above two options work, your local BMW has no incentive to pay you market price when they know they can’t sell it elsewhere. I had one dealer not bother even calling me back, another was offering me $1k over my buyout price towards a new vehicle. Finally found a dealer who would give me close to market price and apply it to a new vehicle. I only went this route since if I bought my current lease I’d be taxed and then taxed again on a new purchase. The equity from my old lease went into the new lease which I don’t prefer (I’ll lose it if the car gets totaled prematurely etc)

Ideally your best option is to buy the car out, sell it, pocket the difference and shop for a new lease.

Some of those cars are already sold. When I was shopping, many of the cars on the incoming inventory list were already sold, had deposits, or were special orders for customers. The actual number of available cars is quite small. I also heard that BMW dealers received fewer allocations than expected so it’s not getting better

Yup. They want to present it like they have a lot of vehicles so you’ll come in and chat, but most have very few actual vehicles available for sale.

I do see 3+% off for some ordered x5/6 from this forum, I guess some dealers/places struggling to sell above msrp.

Yes, dealers may discount ordered vehicles, as it’s an easy sale in the future and drives the number of allocations they may get.

That’s a huge difference that them having any in stock inventory to sell, or doing the inventory vehicles at the same price.

This pretty much.

In my case my few local dealers around Boston can’t even stop gauging on ordered cars for February/March delivery with “market adjustment” the only new word they learned during Covid :slight_smile: , one guy told me $10k above for a basic x6 considering making easy 5-7k on my lease return

Yah, some dealers are charging higher prices :man_shrugging:

In healthcare we have one word “gouging” and you can easily can get a phone call or visit from local DPH and even Amazon inforcing that to some extent, but I guess for BMWusa its a new norm

You’re just not visiting the right dealers.

Gouging has a specific legal definition and is regulated differently in different markets. Rarely does it pertain to luxury products.

This is the one I was buying from for the past 10+ years :slight_smile: with a reasonable market discounts , I do know the drill and I will get my car at discount in 2-4 months it’s just ridiculous how they love to loose customers.