Westchester Customers... lease in July vs August

It is as if someone said “I got a lease,all in $400 a month” and the next person says “Yea, I got one for $200 a month, you got ripped off”. But the first lease was for an Audi A6 and the cheapo was for a Ford Fiesta, now who got ripped off?

Taxes is one side of the equation, what you get for it is the other. In my Upstate community the equation works just fine, well maintained roads year round, terrific public library and schools, and access to good cultural activities.

Well, companies get sweetheart tax deals, so taxpayers pick up the slack. That cheap Amazon/Walmart crap people buy is cheap for a reason.

Just move to CT they’ll charge sales tax and property tax each year on car based on their book values. Lease finance or cash buy. Love the Constitution state :grin:

1 Like

MILL TAX in Connecticut!!! My friend lives there and said the mill tax on their new lease is $600 a year!!!

Disgusting and insane:

Highest property taxes in the country!!!

A new report says Westchester and Rockland both have the highest property taxes out of all counties in the country.

Attom Data Solutions released its report last week, which shows that property taxes on single-family homes increased by 4% on average. This comes as a new tax cap limits deductions to $10,000, causing financial strain for many homeowners in the Hudson Valley.

The report says Westchester residents pay about $17,392 on average. Rockland County came in with the second-highest property taxes, with an average of $12,900.

I’m not sure I would title this as disgusting and insane. Expensive yeah, but living in Alabama or Florida is much more disgusting and insane. Add a cost of $20k for private school tuition and extra fees to live in gated communities, who is crazy now?

3 Likes

$900 on my wife’s Land Rover this year for excise tax in Ma

Prices in westchester are going down… by a lot, at least in southern westchester. Not being able to write off all of your property taxes against your income has caused many to start moving out, along with the NY state income tax. (considering we have some of the highest property taxes in the nation)

People are not moving to the city to westchester, to pay more property taxes? no. That’s not happening.

Lived in sourthern westchester all my life… you can’t sell a house to save yourself in my town.

My neighbors bought in the bottom of the recession, their house is worth probably 1 million LESS than they paid today.

Granted, I don’t know where you live, but in the higher end communities like, Scarsdale, Rye, Bronxville, Pelham, and Harrison, which geographically is a huge part of Westchester and where most of the tax revenues come from.

Friends were buying a new home, their real estate agent told them basically, put in a bunch of low-ball offers and someone should budge.

My towns mill rate is 37 I think so probably looking at $1200 for the Highlander because my uncle’s sienna was about $1000 :thinking: notice how the rich and expensive towns have one of the lowest mill rates like Greenwich has something like 10 or 11

This to me sounds like “rich people trying to unload their mcmansions” problem. Middle class homes don’t normally lose a million dollars in depreciation, even in recession.

Pulled some numbers and they don’t reflect that prices are going down in Westchester post Trump’s tax reform which capped salt deduction. However, they do show appreciation far below the national average for 2018 home sales. Very much a mixed bag.

I think issue is just changing demographics and popularity. In DC, the inner suburbs and city are seeing huge price appreciation with seemingly no impact from SALT changes. Boston market is the same way. Millennials want to live in or closer to city. It’s why real estate prices are way up in NYC/Jersey City/Boston/ Cambridge/Arlington/Alexandria.

Westchester just isn’t cool anymore. Have family friends in Boston and DC suburbs experiencing the same thing. They got little home asset growth in last ten years while everything in the city is now too expensive for them to afford.

1 Like

Average sale price in my zip is 850k. Since the tax cut it has decreased by 50k, and is projected to drop another 50k over the next year.

According to Zillow.

That was generous wording. Median home price about 200k in USA. These are rich folks for whom SALT deduction really matters. For a family making 100k or less, the tax law change had little effect and wouldn’t be expected to have any impact on middle class home prices.

Neighboring town has gone down from 1.08M to 965k in one year.

Very well written – totally agree – Never thought I would see the day East New York becomes hip and cool – Just look at Brooklyn – Property values have skyrocketed due to the proximity to Manhattan – People just dont want to live in suburbs anymore – crack era is long over

FYI – https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-06-16/drug-cop-worth-400-million-after-bets-on-brooklyn-real-estate

And/or live in areas where property taxes are sky high.

Those prices makes sense, it’s the price range the SALT changes would hit hardest. Enough that increased standard deduction doesn’t come close to covering lost SALT deductions while cheap enough that the price difference still really matters.

I still think demand in most suburbs is major issue but those price points are where I’d expect Trump tax plan to have most negative effect.

Apologies on previous comment. I took this to mean homes had lost 7 figures in values not were worth 1 million on average. Very different if average sales price is around a million bucks and not these folks had a million in value to lose.

I just can’t phathom the rich suddenly living paycheck to paycheck after salt being capped.

That’s not going to happen, ever, the rich will just move to places that won’t charge them this level of taxation (like FL).

At the end of the day this just hurts NY state and everyone in it. When property values decrease, taxes get assessed and decrease, when people move out of state NY looses out on their income tax. Hence, less tax revenues. This will then cause taxes, like sales tax (a regressive tax), across the state to go up. This sales tax hike, in one of the highest property tax counties in the nation, is just a micro problem with what could happen across the state.