We’ve reached the point where it’s cheaper to Uber

A BOLT or Corolla/Prius lease can be had for $6-$8 per day, can you UBER/LYFT for that little per day…didn’t think so, Factor in the insurance/gas/charging EV and you’re still below UBER/LYFT
Yes-some situations are unique (if you only use it once a week) but majority of people cannot afford UBER/LYFT daily.

To each their own-what works for some may not work for others, wait till OP reaches the shortage of drivers and UBER LYFTS his ride triple the cost :wink:

1 Like

you sure about that? - this was the price to get from LAX to home (about 25 miles) last night. It can often be silly money but this was definitely the highest i’ve seen it. I feel like I should register to be a driver right now! if only I could spare the miles haha.

1 Like

Time of day is a big factor, as is location (congested areas near downtown are brutal). If you live in a less congested area further from downtown, it’s not nearly as bad.

For comparison, I just plugged in a 50 mile trip from OC to LAX and it returned this $59 trip (Lyft has it for $50)

1 Like

Yup-I live 55 miles from LAX and always park at the parking structures near the airport whenever I fly for vacations etc (September booked 13 days parking for $87)

1 Like

Yeah we ended up driving because the cost to get to LAX a week before was about $60 also. We just found street parking near Hertz and caught the shuttle from there. I was just curious how much Uber would’ve cost. The unpredictable nature of both pricing and timing is why I couldn’t rely solely on Uber personally.

1 Like

I’ve considered flying Burbank Bob Hope…but pricing is always three times than LAX… I priced a roundtrip LAX-LAS $90 and BUR-LAS $900 Delta cheapest pricing hahaha, I know Southwest is $50 each way now from LAX and $150 BUR
I use cheapairportparking.com and usually great deals if you book far in advance

1 Like

That’s worth the premium to fly out of Burbank

1 Like

Agreed-but not the $90>$900 :face_with_thermometer:

$150 southwest is still better than $90 Delta to Vegas.

1 Like

$150 was One way and Delta is RT for $90 haha I usually drive to Vegas but was just wondering what the fly cost is… in the Tesla M3 round trip with only Supercharging $50 roughly-so by the time I hit LAX with check ins, parking etc I’m half way there when driving-I’ve only flown once to Vegas-still enjoying that drive there better

1 Like

I am not a luddite but my father was a taxi driver in the old country and he raised a family, it took a long time for me to warm up to ride share lol

1 Like

hey man, I hear you. I still vitamix my own peanuts into peanut butter

4 Likes

“Today my Uber ride from Midtown to JFK cost me as much as my flight from JFK to SFO,” Sunny Madra, a vice president at Ford’s venture incubator, recently tweeted, along with a screenshot of a receipt that showed he had spent nearly $250 on a ride to the airport.

“Airbnb got too much dip on they chip,” another Twitter user complained. “No one is gonna continue to pay $500 to stay in an apartment for two days when they can pay $300 for a hotel stay that has a pool, room service, free breakfast & cleaning everyday. Like get real lol.”

5 Likes

HK redcab? Those things are iconic.

Yes, they had similar medallion system.

1 Like

Those deals don’t exist in SoCal anymore.

Another inflationary thread. Prices aren’t going back to normal. They may stabilize a bit, the used market may drop as well slightly, but expect higher msrp’s next year so the manufacturers can start “discounting” your car to under “invoice”.

We as Americans have been very lucky to not have to deal with much inflation the last 20 years but that time is up. Just wait until gas hits $5 again.

I had terrible luck with Uber in Miami area this year. They wouldn’t pick up friends and family at the airport. When they did it was $25 to my house, used to be $10-15. Long waits, dirty cars etc. Uber is just trying to stay above water paying drivers as little as possible until they can implement a driverless fleet. Funny the drivers actually are paying by for their eventual replacement

1 Like

I wish someone would tell the central bankers what all of us common folks know to be true - that this is not some transitory inflation cycle. It’s here to stay. The only question that remains is to what extent.

3 Likes

The FED won’t acknowledge that because they would have to also acknowledge that they created it with artificially low interest rates and trillions of printed dollars.

1 Like

Cody Still has the Prius L listed for $226/mo but yes-deals are fading away, still doable