Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

KBB can be very relative, particularly now more than ever. A vehicle is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, period. This doesn’t justify Carmax’s offer, nor the validity of your KBB “value”.

Me when someone asks for NADA trade value: :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Just a recent data point, had a Honda for sale and Carmax was highest bidder at 38k, 2 weeks go by and they lowered to 35.7 so decided to recheck with the other places that were way lower than carmax, Driveway was 36 and is now 38.3 Autonation was 36 or 37 not sure and raised now to 37.5
It seems like we’re in a better place than Jan-Feb.

1 Like

Return-to-work improving a springtime bump in demand.

Do you really think people that went to work from home sold their cars in 2020?

1 Like

Do I think some cashed out equity? Yes. Although I think this is more an urban thing.

2 Likes

Tax season, Most retail prices spike, along with sales

1 Like

100%. That’s actually how I found this forum.

2 Likes

I suspended the insurance for six months on my commuter car, then sold it. Family went with one car for the next six months. Still driving less than 3k miles a year. Getting a 4xe this month in case there is back to work whiplash.

2 Likes

I just plugged in my Tesla Model 3 SR+ (July '21 build, white seats only option) into CarBuyerUSA. 6 months ago the best quote I received from CarBuyer for it (with ~8k less miles on it mind you) was around $45k. Plugged it in this morning with 19k miles now on the odo, and I got 46.8k as a quote. I paid $40.5k for my 3 last July. Still pretty insane!

2 Likes

Sold my 2022 XT6 Premium for $49,500 about 4 weeks ago to WeBuyAnyCar.com

The vehicle has a MSRP of $49,250 and I paid just under $47,000 for it in September with GM supplier discount and rebate.

Today that same vehicle can be purchased new for $49,250 minus $1,250 in purchase allowance equals $48,000. If you’re smart and you have Costco it brings it down to $46,500 ($1,500 costco discount) if you pay sticker price for the vehicle. It shouldn’t be very difficult to negotiate $1,000 off sticker price so let’s say a fair purchase price is between $45,500 and $46,500 for a brand new 2022 Cadillac XT6 Luxury.

Guess what…my used XT6 was sold at auction is now a dealership in GA has it listed at $55,000.

So you can get a brand new XT6 for worst case scenario…$46,500 or you can go buy a used one with almost 10k miles on it for $55,000.

I say we start taking bets on how long this vehicle will sit on the lot and what the last advertised price will be.

Any takers?

This is the vehicle btw:

2 Likes

It’s interesting my Tesla delivery is around the corner and they just called and texted to ask if I had a trade in i wanted to evaluate. Even Tesla is on the used car bandwagon.

“Hi xxxx this is Sara from Tesla. I am reaching out in regards to your vehicle order. With your Tesla delivery right around the corner and the used vehicle market at all-time highs, we would like to provide you a complimentary assessment on your current vehicle.

Reply to this text with your VIN and mileage on your vehicle, and I will start the process for you. I’ll look forward to hearing from you, have a great rest of your day!

please note that this text cannot view photos

out of all the posted comments, here’s my two cents and someone may have posted something similar but I’m not reading thru the vast sea of previous comments.

This market isn’t going to normalize until at least 2028 or 2029, not only are we still suffering from the echos of the chip shortage, but now with everything going on in Ukraine and wire harness’s not being produced for their german car clients (MBZ, BMW, Porsche, Audi VW) and also a Magnesium alloy shortage (China controls 90% of magnesium production)

Strap in folks, it’s going to suck for the next 5 to 7 years, especially if dems stay in power after the mid terms and inflation continues to run wild and world continues to burn.

8 Likes

By than we will be in electric cars :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

China controls a large portion of the world’s Rare Earth Metals, Lithium, and manufacturing for electronic components.

2 Likes

We won’t have an infrastructure ready to support electric cars nationwide until 2045.

3 Likes

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

6 Likes

Uh Oh No GIF

1 Like

Inflation will continue to skyrocket because the Fed wanted this inflation. They created it. They are late on rate hikes and their .25 basis hikes are not going to do anything. They still added over 1/2 trillion to their balance sheet in the last 6 months, even though inflation fears were getting real 6+ months ago. But these crooks said it was transitory, lying through their teeth. Now they are raising interest rates, but still add over 30 billion to balance sheet just last month. Just now are they considering shrinking balance sheet. When/if the debt market implodes…hold on to your hat folks.

5 Likes

The free drugs spiel was an absolute lie…

I want my time back from D.A.R.E, they had really cool all black plates tho in PA.