Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Nothing is remotely close to normalized. If msrp is normal then maybe…the new normal is digging in more every month. Hopefully some rate increases will curb speculation. But based on the real estate market, a 1% rate increase has done absolutely nothing

I didn’t say anything is normalized. Based on used car values I’ve been seeing I’d say that about 3 months ago we were in a Cat 5 hurricane and now we’re in a Cat 3-4 hurricane. We’re talking about the peak here…and I know many can agree that they’re not getting the same values for their vehicles that they were getting a couple of months ago.

2 Likes

These .25 rate hikes are for show. Wall Street knows it, that is why markets have gone up since first hike. Fed wanted this inflation, they will be printing more money in no time.

2 Likes

We hit a ceiling and bounced. Hopefully for used cars it was THE ceiling. Hopefully. Maybe.

2 Likes

Sure but the 30yr mortgage is up 1% from last month. That’s a lot of buying power gone and market is still as high as ever.

And we deal with new cars here. Used a new thing. So peak insanity isn’t here yet…

This is a dead cat bounce from what I’m seeing. I bought in. But my stop losses are very tight.

1 Like

What could be worse than a used car selling for more than new :rofl:

2 Likes

And new MSRP for that matter. :frowning:

A Nissan Sentra has a 5k adm still here in so cal unreal……

My dealer couldn’t order power seats package on the Defender 110S, even though it’s available on the LR site.

2 Likes

They’ll have plenty of time to retrofit when your defender is in the shop for being a :lemon:

12 Likes

I’ll flip it if that’s the case :point_up:

1 Like

You’d have to pay me $5K to drive a Sentra (on top of giving me the car for free)

5 Likes

I mean their target audience probably comes in with a monthly payment budget spread out across 30 years. Markup will barely be noticeable.

1 Like

Historically sales dip and then start increasing as Spring time rolls around. I think another spike is right around the corner.

Red line is end of March.

5 Likes

Yes. What will be interesting to watch this year given some head-winds:

• far fewer Americans will receive tax refunds
  • with gas price and new/used car price inflation: will upgrade buyers pull the trigger or wait (fewer wants / more needs)? How many people will make an expensive impulse switch to something more fuel efficient?
  • as loan/lease rates creep up, will that slow sales?

All of that with ongoing impairments to supply: chips, rubber, wiring harnesses, palladium, nickel, natural disasters, civil unrest - just to name a few.

2 Likes

*googles “palladium” *

2 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/surging-mineral-prices-could-provoke-more-catalytic-converter-theft/ar-AAV2Mgc

We discuss causes over in

Here, people mostly want to talk about 2nd order effects. :nerd_face:

When I got my wedding ring, I got primarily palladium because I wanted something interesting and different. I’m going to have to fight off catalytic convertor thieves now.

13 Likes

Palladium has done me very well the last 5 years. I’m up about 500% on it. Great industrial metal to hold on to

I won’t even talk about my rhodium gains. The physical market has completely detached from the paper market. Expect more of that with metal in the future. It’s all a scam. Gold should be 15k an ounce. Silver 100

2 Likes

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5